over night bread

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

over night bread
« on: December 08, 2015, 22:00 »
Ok i thought i wou,d try proving over night so i did the breas popped into a bowl covered it znd popped in the fridge well you can guessmy suprise when 2 hours later i got something out the fridge my bread was huge and worring it might take over my fridge my morning i have had to get out and finish the proving so what have i done wronge ive used freash yeast and just followed the recipe .
chrissie b :wacko:
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: over night bread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:40 »
When I'm using an overnight rise, I make the bread with dried easy yeast and do it last thing at night, and put it in fridge as I'm going to bed, then get it out early to give it time to reach room temperature.

It sounds as if yours was already very active when you put it in the fridge and maybe you need to set your fridge on a colder setting?

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:51 »
The fridge is cold enough and the bread look as normali will try with the dried yeast next time , i baked it last night and it turned out ok just had to wait till the wee hours so i could pop in the freezer .
chrissie b

grendel

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44 »
I use fresh yeast and store it frozen, even in the fridge it tries to multiply.
instead of defrosting it I throw a frozen block into the liquid and then the rest of the ingredients, and stick into the bread machine and start it right up - gives me a good loaf every time.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 22:24 »
Havent got a machine , i get my yeast from sainsburys on the packet it says not to freeze it .
how much do you use in what size loaf my recipe said 20 gdo you think that was a bit much for an over night loaf.
chrissie b

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:23 »
I use a very wet dough recipe but I imagine the same approach could be used: prove as normal then put in the fridge overnight, shape and then leave to rise again as normal in the tin or as rolls, etc.

grendel

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 13:02 »
I too get mine from sainsburys, but when I asked the guy behind the counter said it was ok to freeze it, and its never given me trouble, I buy 400g at a time and split it down into ice cube trays then wrap the tray in foil and put in a bag - each chunk about the size of the ice cube and about 1cm thick (about a heaped teaspoons worth I guess) I tried to guess at about 25g, but halved that in the end, which works out ok in a loaf. I use 3 cups of flour and 325ml water (medium loaf ?) as if I try and do a large one it always rises bigger than the tin.
Grendel

oldgrunge

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 20:47 »
Just wondering what temperature the water was when you added it to your mix. If it was warm, that may have started the dough rising too rapidly. Personally, I never use fresh yeast, always use dried easy as I think using fresh makes no real difference to the bread. But hey ho, each to their own.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

grendel

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:15 »
I have found fresh yeast gives a better flavour to the bread, I always add it to cold water

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 13:31 »
I would also say use cold water. What gives bread flavour (I hear) is a longer prove so using cold water in a normal temperature is what I prefer (but don't always practice as time is not always on my side) and in that case, as long as the dough is active but cool you should be able to fridge it for fresh bread (after bringing it up to temperature) for breakfast. Yum,

If I remember I will try it next time too

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 18:04 »
 :unsure: i did use slightly warmed water with the yeast auto pilot i think im doing some tonight hoping i can get it in the fridge .

chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 14:02 »
Ok last night i did Nother loaf over night with dried yeast and it xixnt rise much zt all i left it at room temp for a while iv now shaped it and put it on a tray , i did some ordinary bread in a cooler room for a slower rise its doing good soon as its ready to bake then im cooking this one as well , see what happens .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 18:43 »
Ok then cut into my overnight loaf and to my suprise i found the holes that were missing from my   ciabatta  , hubby loved it even though it wasent 100% correct , i made extra bread just incase .
chrissie b

oldgrunge

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 20:53 »
Ok then cut into my overnight loaf and to my suprise i found the holes that were missing from my   ciabatta  , hubby loved it even though it wasent 100% correct , i made extra bread just incase .
chrissie b
How about saving the holes from the overnight bread, and mixing them into the ciabatta?  :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 18:01 »
Its a thouht will just have to work on it a bit.
chrissie b

xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
We made 22lb suasages last night!

Started by SMD66 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 07:53
by SMD66
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B
xx
Problem with bread.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

28 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 13:35
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.