Oh no weird trumpet-like noises!

• 2 Replies

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
Oh no weird trumpet-like noises!
« on: March 31, 2011, 13:06 »
Hi Fellow Chook Keepers

I am in need of your vast experience and hope you can advise me!

Two of my hens and one pullet are making what I can only describe as trumpeting noises as they breathe in and out... I was (am) obviously concerned when I heard this so inspected the birds and there is no smell or discharge from nostrels, no puffy eyes, no wheezing or rattling coming from their lungs.  There is the odd sneeze and head shake though.  They seem fine in them selves and are eating normally (at the moment) but something's definitely up.  I just can't figure out what and wonder if it is the early stages of something respiratory or could it be gape worm... or something else...   :wacko:

I have wormed them and added Respite to their water, and tried antibiotics but without any apparent effect at the moment.  It's been going on for a week and I could really do with some advice please.

I am happy to take them to the vet but to be fair she does not know much about chooks and also they are not currently 'ill'.
Mad chicken woman

Chrysalis

Re: Oh no weird trumpet-like noises!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 13:44 »
Are they singing? :lol:

Mine make all sorts of noises, but trumpeting may be a sign of laying? I expect your lot have already appraised you of their own way of announcing the arrival of an egg, but it may be just something they do for fun... hope you get to the bottom of it. C

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
Re: Oh no weird trumpet-like noises!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 16:16 »
My chooks are exceptionally chatty...  :D  especially my orpingtons  :D :D

But sadly the noise it isn't signing coz the noise is being made on each in and out breath... it's not a rattle or rasp... or heavy breathing!

Tis a mystery... I'll check them again tonight and keep a close eye on them over the next couple of days.

xx
Chicken Noises!

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 10:14
by Selkie
xx
Hi all-help with strange chicken noises needed!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:29
by Livinhope
question
13 Week old Chick making strange noises - Help

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 18, 2009, 19:23
by Sluggs
xx
Weird Egg

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 20:19
by beth123

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 33 queries.