Yay, I have a frog!

• 5 Replies

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
Yay, I have a frog!
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:29 »
I'm probably about half a mile from the nearest body of water that I know of, but yesterday I found a really quite enormous frog on my allotment, living quite happily under the courgettes.  I always make a point of leaving a couple of large, flat containers of water on my plot for wildlife but I'm a bit worried about how this guy is going to survive the winter.  I guess there must be a stream or something nearby where he can hibernate.  Can I build him some sort of frog shelter?

Also, has anyone else found any unexpected wildlife on their plot?

Beetroot queen

Re: Yay, I have a frog!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:42 »
We have a huge population of frogs and in the last two days while we strimmed the second plot found and rescued 70 + the place is hoping alive and the kids think it is fantastic, we are going to build a frog palace for them out of some old tree logs  :blush:

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46 »
Is the frog enormous or just big ? If its really big its probably an exotic pet that has been turned loose , when fishing i`ve seen a few whoppers (not anglers tall tales) bullfrogs and strange toads that are 4 or 5 times the size of our native frogs.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 16:45 »
It's a very big adult frog, but not a giant.  I would say about 10-12cm long when sitting crouched  I haven't seen him since, but there was definitely some croaking when I reached into the courgettes to harvest a couple.  Will have to pay closer attention to my stir fries in future.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 00:27 »
I only just finished making a large new shade flower garden and as I watered today I found a young toad hopping under the hosta leaves. Nothing at all could live there before, it was so dry and hard.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 19:20 »
I did have a really cute frog in the garden untill today......my Jack Russel ate it!! :ohmy:
mrs.ploppy

xx
Frog Habitat

Started by andyww2013 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2019, 20:39
by oldgrunge
xx
any frog experts? advice appreciated

Started by CJ on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 18:43
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.