Hiring out a strimmer - how much / costs / maintenance etc

• 13 Replies

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
I have just aquired a strimmer (given to me by my father in law) and the council have just let 16 plots on our site (we are a new feild with potentially 30 plots approx in total) and as you can imagine its a little overgrown (couch grass, brambles etc).

Long term it would be great to setup a shared pool of tools that can be hired out by our allotment association (if we set one up) so plot holders can clear their site.  I am tempted to advsertise the hire of my strimmer at (say) £15 per day (£20 for the weekend).   I have checked and the same strimmer is available from HSS for £35 for a weekend.  I have no intentions of making any money and any cash thats made I would plough back into the maintenance and running costs.

Its a decent Husqvarna 125r and I would include:
- petrol
- strimmer line
- metal bush cutter attachment
- protective glasses
- ear plugs
- original manuals (all laminated)

The council allotment rep didnt seem to mind at the idea when I mentioned it on saturday (we had a kind of open day for the people on the waiting list for people to come and choose their new plots).

The reason for my post is to ask:

1) Has anyone else done anything similar ?
2) How much would you pay for the use of a strimmer ?
3) Anything I should consider from a health and safety point of view ?

Anything else ?
"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."

philskin

Re: Hiring out a strimmer - how much / costs / maintenance etc
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53 »
hi there mark im afraid i cant help you much here ,but im interested in the responce to your post as i have a couple of rotovaters i was thinking of hiring out on our new allotments
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

desandchez

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 13:29 »
Hi
my partner and i are site agents and we hire out a couple of strimmers and lawn mowers and we charge £5 for 1/2 day just to cover your a--e make sure you talk them through the instructions and do's and dot's of each item so many people say yes I know how to use it and then come back later saying it don't work properly

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 13:49 »
Hi
my partner and i are site agents and we hire out a couple of strimmers and lawn mowers and we charge £5 for 1/2 day just to cover your a--e make sure you talk them through the instructions and do's and dot's of each item so many people say yes I know how to use it and then come back later saying it don't work properly

ok - do you ever give out a leaflet explaining its use ? I am tempted to write one up or maybe even download and give out the one on the HSS site ;) :

http://www.hss.com/imagshop/guides/og_468.pdf

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 21:13 »
I would definitely make sure that you have written instructions and H&S stuff. 

A powered strimmer is a serious piece of kit and can do some damage to the unprepared person.  Perhaps a disclaimer for people to sign - although in practice I don't think they're worth the paper they're written on if something goes wrong.  How will you make sure they wear protective clothing?  Will you ensure they are trained in its use and the hazards?  Just issuing a manual isn't really enough.

And, sad to say, what will you do if someone injures themselves?  Will you be insured?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:14 »
I would definitely make sure that you have written instructions and H&S stuff. 

A powered strimmer is a serious piece of kit and can do some damage to the unprepared person.  Perhaps a disclaimer for people to sign - although in practice I don't think they're worth the paper they're written on if something goes wrong.  How will you make sure they wear protective clothing?  Will you ensure they are trained in its use and the hazards?  Just issuing a manual isn't really enough.

And, sad to say, what will you do if someone injures themselves?  Will you be insured?

No its their fault - just as if you where to lend somebody a spade and then then chop their foot off.  I agree that there are maybe some people that are toooo stupid to use it but maybe natural selection will help us with this one  :tongue2: anyway....

This is one of the reasons I posted this thread to be honest and I also wondered what other allotment people do on their sites.

I know the old health and safety thing is very news wealthy item (theres just wayyyy to many stories in certain daily newspapers about "...health and safety gone mad..." at the moment) but I was thinking about a one or two page document that I could print out and get laminated and include with the instruction manuals (dont care about people signing for anything) to ensure that they are ok.

Maybe if we (or I) draw something up we could share it across allotment schemes for the hire of equipment.

Has anyone hired anything from HSS (or any other shops) recently that we could check out what they use?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:37 »
If you operate without insurance you risk being sued. If someone loses a toe or an eye, and their lawyer can prove it is your fault, you could be sued for many thousands . Even if they were not sucessfull you might incurr legal costs.

Your list of protective clothing is OK but your instructions should emphasise the need for stout footwear and thick trousers. Some clown is bound to operate the brush cutter in sandals and shorts.

Training is important. This will ensure that they get the best out of the machine and you do not get your machine damaged.

Hiring or lending out a machine will shorten its life and hirers never look after a machine as their own.

sean moore

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:09 »
having worked in the hire trade
i would not bother for the reasons below
1 injury ( to the hirer or others )
2 damage to your machine ( will they repair or replace  or is it insured )
i say this as i have explained to a customer how to use a chainsaw, including
a demostration hired all the protective equipment . and they complain when they cut down a wooden greenhouse and end up with a trip to the a&e
yes the glass was in the green house
if you just lend it out they cant realy complain. when people charge they want a service
regards
sean

beansticks

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 18:41 »
I agree with all the negative contributors,the potential for disaster is too great,and you will be liable.The minute you take money for the hire you are responsible.We hire lifting equipment and our insurance policy is over £2500 per year.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 20:44 »
Mark.Carline,

To save all the hassle hire your services to clear the plot for a fee. That way you are sure things are done right otherwise let them sort the strimmer themselves! Buy hire their own.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 20:48 by Steve.B »

beansticks

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 21:17 »
Mark.Carline,

To save all the hassle hire your services to clear the plot for a fee. That way you are sure things are done right otherwise let them sort the strimmer themselves! Buy hire their own.

Good idea.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 23:29 »
That's what we're considering doing on our site - charging to do the work ourselves rather than hiring out machinery. 

We're even quite nervous about the non-powered tools which we loan out to association members for a refundable deposit - the scythe could do some serious damage if you don't know how to swing with the best  :wacko:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32 »
Mark.Carline,

Good idea.

Could this be done for a Digging service as well hahahahahah
Thanks
Kris

2peasinapod

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 20:02 »
your opening your self up to a load of red tape.
most councils wont let you loose on any public/council land with any power tools unless you have the proper training and insurance cover.
you will be ok with your own gear on your own plot, but otherwise will probably not be cost effective.
dont permissum dandelions frendo vos down.

If it cant be pulled by hand,
1; its not ready
2; use a landrover...

xx
hiring or buying equipment

Started by chris1976 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 12:37
by Heather_S
xx
advice on strimmer / hedge strimmer

Started by The Golden Heap on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 09:32
by smud6ie
xx
sprayer maintenance

Started by waddecar on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 18:50
by goodegg
xx
JCB Strimmer M25

Started by pipfit on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 18:32
by pipfit

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.