Planning consent and polytunnels

• 12 Replies

jmc1949

Planning consent and polytunnels
« on: May 16, 2019, 17:27 »
Would a polytunnel be classed as a permanent structure. We would like to put an 8x10ft tunnel on our allotment site but  our planning consent states that all permanent structures have to be no more than 6x4ft for sheds and greenhouses but I'm unsure if wood and plastic is classed as permanent. Is there anyone with experience of planning who could advice me please.  Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Planning consent and polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 17:43 »
Do your allotment rules give no guidance on poly-tunnels then?
Ours say " glasshouses and poly-tunnels should cover (in total) no more than 20% of the allotment, or exceed 2.13m in height...... Positioning of poly-tunnels to be discussed with site Rep or Allotment Officer."
Obviously they shouldn't permanently shade the plot next door.

jmc1949

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 18:01 »
No they don't, only states shed and greenhouses should be no more than 4x6ft, which we have adhered to. There is nothing in the planning documents either so our committee is unsure of what to do. We don't want to pay for one and then find we should have got planning permission.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 20:25 »
https://www.swcaa.co.uk/information/polytunnels-allotments clarifies things....
Do you need planning permission?

In general you do not need planning permission for sheds, greenhouses, summerhouses or polytunnels. There may be some restrictions if you are in a national park, conservation area or area of outstanding natural beauty.  So the answer is generally "no", at least for domestic tunnels (not large commercial ventures).

Limitations on size
The ordinary allotment tunnel should not be more than 3m high (or more than 4.2m at the ridge) or more than about 18m long and about 4.5 m wide at base in order to avoid planning permission problems.

The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors summed this up: "Structures may be placed on agricultural land for agricultural purposes without the necessity for obtaining planning permission. However, no building or engineering works must be involved."  OK to place the polytunnels on the land but not to pour a cement floor unless you can remove it when you leave.
 Some Councils  imposed new charges and restrictions on small polytunnels as well, until Paul Hudson, the Communities and Local Government Chief Planner, sent round a letter to stop this.....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 20:28 by mumofstig »

jmc1949

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 20:44 »
Thanks Mum, that's very helpful. I will pass this information to our committee.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 22:52 »
ring your local council for advice. Charlie on an allotment in Essex had to get retrospective for his.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:40 »
ring your local council for advice. Charlie on an allotment in Essex had to get retrospective for his.

Was that Council approval, rather than actual planning consent?  :unsure: Our council used to insist on this 'til we had the rules updated a couple of years ago.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 16:19 »
My belief is that you only need planning permission when you're constructing something that needs some sort of permanent fixture such as a concrete base. Greenhouses and poly-tunnels don't come into this class because they are easily removed if needed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:17 »
On our sites a polytunnel is classed the same as a greenhouse/ shed for planning so permission is needed where as a brassica tunnel which is moved with rotation is not. I would check as I believe everywhere is different
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jmc1949

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 19:11 »
Many thanks for your comments. Our committee have decided to contact the local planning department to see if we are required to apply for planning permission to erect a polytunnel.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 22:01 »
There are two different issues here:
a) planning permission; and
b) tenancy rules.

You might not need a), but b) might have specific constraints depending on council views, the terms of the lease of the land to the allotments and/or individual tenancy rules.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 10:27 »
One of the lads I taught (many years ago) runs his own business recovering huge agricultural and business polytunnels all over the country.

I will ask him and see if he has any ideas about planning permission for the large structures - I guess once permission is granted it is unlikely to be revoked.

My allotment site (a privately owned and operated one) had no restrictions on greenhouses - sheds could be no more than 8'x10'. Polytunnels became increasingly popular and some covered a good 40% of one or two plots. (mostly people had greenhouses).

Contacting the land owner (the council in your allotment site's case) is a good move especially before making an outlay and doing the work. Hope it goes well for you. :)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jmc1949

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 14:00 »
Yorkie and Paul Plots, The local planning department has given permission for greenhouses or shed both no bigger than 6x4 ft. There is no mention of polytunnels the planning document or in the land lease we have with the Parish Council or in the Terms and Conditions which are signed by the plot holders.

One recent development which may help us is that two of our allotmenteers have been co-opted onto the local Parish Council and they will be able to discuss this at the next meeting. So hopefully by the end of June we should know how to proceed.

Thanks for all the comments.

xx
Allotment planning

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2022, 17:22
by Dantheman
xx
Brexit planning

Started by makedoandmend on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2018, 22:29
by Mr Dog
xx
Planning ahead. Exciting times

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2019, 21:30
by Missey

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 47 queries.