Asparagus Harvest

• 7 Replies

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
Asparagus Harvest
« on: June 05, 2011, 17:51 »
My asparagus reached its third year this April I am really disappointed at only being able to harvest 12 spears from 10 plants.   I did not cut any spears last year, and left the ferns to grow and die down as advised.  I spread well rotted manure in Autumn 2010 over the bed.  As the years go on will I be able to expect more spears, as the space that is being used up at present could be very useful growing something else.  Any advice/views will be much appreciated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus Harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 17:59 »
Asparagus is a long-term plant, so I would expect yields to increase.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 18:15 »
I started my asparagus bed about 7 years ago, and the ten plants are of about 4 different varieties and between 2 and 7 years old (don't ask!)

It's really only in the last year or so that the oldest of them have really come good (bear in mind that your 3" crowns will finish up about 3' across with roots so wide and deep they speak with an Ozzy accent!)

Others may have got them to full production size quicker than this but I can't help thinking that the growers and retailers like to be a bit optimistic about such details!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nadlen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27 »
Oh,may I sneak in with a question?
I only have 2 crowns, first year. I know,I have to sit back for a while but question is - is asparagus cut-and-grow-off sort of plant? Or I'm going to get not more than few spears each year? What can I expect from 2 crowns in future? Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:20 »
The figure I've seen quoted is 15 spears per plant per year, which I think is probably about right for a mature plant (after that you have to let the remaining spears develop into ferns to build up the crowns for next year)

Taking a few spears in the first few years is very tempting but will only delay the development of full-sized and productive crowns in future years.

Nadlen

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35 »
Cheers! Do they grow baby crowns?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 13:35 »
No (although if your 2 happen to be male and female plants you could get seeds setting.)

Nadlen

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 14:04 »
Bah, I dont know. One spear is flowering right now, tiny yellow bells. Second one doesn't look too good, looks like its being invaded by some pests, stopped growing.

xx
Asparagus Harvest

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2022, 14:29
by Hampshire Hog
xx
asparagus harvest

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 22:25
by 4 Seasons
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 29 queries.