disappointing spuds

• 11 Replies

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
disappointing spuds
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:41 »
I dug my first red duke of York earlies. I was v disappointed . I prepare the ground well, chit, earth up etc. I also rotate each year. Is anybody else experiencing low yield ?
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

BabbyAnn

Re: disappointing spuds
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 13:19 »
Sorry to hear you haven't been successful.  Perhaps you needed to leave them in a little longer due to such a prolonged cold spell over spring?

So far (touch wood), the number of potatoes I have been digging up may be marginally fewer but the size of mine have been bigger than average.  I think it may have been partly due to the timing of the spud development when the torrential rains we had were just right.  The Swift and Charlottes have been fine .... Kestrel next on my list and if past experience have anything to go by, they can be whoppers during a very wet season (fingers crossed  ;))

savbo

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 13:28 »
while I have had a few good spuds, quite a few are rotting in the ground, and the yield per plant is low still

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 16:03 »
Mine have been slow getting to a decent size too, the Charlottes taste great but they are small this year and yealds are low. The Desiree plants have been looking good but now seem to have the first signs of blight so I think that's that for them  :(

And it's pouring with rain as I type this  :(  Ah well, there is always next year  :nowink:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 16:41 »
Hiya.
We have just lifted our 1st spuds this year because of the wet ground & must admit we're also dissapointed. 1 root just had enough for 1 meal for 2 adults & some of them have started to split, which according to our gardening book is caused by being to dry, lol. The soil was very heavy & wet, even though it was well prepared.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 21:53 »
I emptied a barrel of kestrel this evening. V low yield. Spuds in great nick, and tops were looking good all through the season but def fewer than last years swift. Red duke of York and pentland javelins still to come. Fingers x.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 00:33 »
Low yields here as well, I had just three spuds from one plant,  My problem is the water table, with all the rain the ground is like sloppy concrete mix barely a fork-spit down.  Definitely adding some raised beds next year and lazy beds for the rest of the plot.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:34 »
Dug a few Lady Christl plants a couple of weeks ago and harvested few and rather small potatoes - dug a couple more yesterday and they still had few but mostly rather large spuds on, which is not exactly what you either expect or want from this variety, but I guess that given the weather I shouldn't be too surprised or disappointed, especially as they've now been in for 15 weeks.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allot2learn

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 21:11 »
1.5lbs from 2 Marfona 2nd early plants today. Been in 16 weeks.
Forecasts say warming up next week, but I won't dust off the BBQ just yet.

I'll leave the spuds a few more weeks.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 21:07 »
my int kidneys have also been a bit strange each plant has given just 3=4 potatoes but they have been baking size ? The cara have been hit by blight so have left these in the ground and will dig in a couple of weeks .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 22:14 »
The few Kestrel volunteers (from last year's planting) have given me better yields than this years Charlottes...it's all very weird :blink:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 22:20 »
Have just emptied one bag of the Charlottes and wasn't unhappy with what we found.

Had the same result from the first earlies.

And we were spitting in the eye of the gods 'cos we ran out of compost and used the left over compost that we grew spuds in last year. :unsure:
Just hope the ones in the ground on the lotty will be OK when we dig them up.
charlotte potatoes 2.jpg

xx
Disappointing garlic

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 10:54
by mumofstig
xx
Disappointing Garlic

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 09:48
by jay001
xx
Disappointing brussels

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 08:40
by shokkyy
xx
Disappointing potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 18:48
by AnneB

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 41 queries.