Very Chalky plot

• 4 Replies

terryf

Very Chalky plot
« on: October 28, 2007, 10:43 »
First of hi to you all  :D
my Wife and l have taken on an allotment which has about a forks depth before you hit chalk, there is lots of the stuff on the surface also  :? what would be the best plan of action,loads of manure and try to get the surface chalk away.

Any help would be appreciated  :)

WG.

Very Chalky plot
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:54 »
Hi & welcome, lots and lots of manure is my prognosis (regardless of the problem)!  :)   That and plenty of compost - and get yourself a comfrey patch.

I don't see the need to remove any chalk since surely that will have the same effect as adding lime?  Clearly raking seedbeds clear and such like.  I guess tatties might not like it too much.

Provided you can keep it watered then I'd imagine you are looking at a good plot.  The manure/compost will help retain water too.

Another member (milkman) gardens organically on chalk so will doubtless have some first-hand experience for you.

Pop a few details in your Profile please : http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8645

bean

Very Chalky plot
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 13:03 »
Hi terryf

By no means an expert as I am still waiting to get my allotment. However I have raised beds at home, and these might help you increase the depth of your soil before it hits the chalk base.

milkman

Very Chalky plot
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 15:58 »
Hallo terryf, well done for getting a plot.  

I personally wouldn't bother trying to remove the chalky lumps, it'll be a lot of effort and there'll always be yet more making their way to the surface.  

Aim to gradually add to and build up the top soil you do have with the addition of compost and manure.  You'll find that the soil is easily workable and very free draining which has its advantages, but has the disadvantage of leaching all the goodness and nutrients veggies need all too easily, and the surface will dry to a hard crust with just a little sunshine and wind.

I have set up my plots with fixed beds and do minimal digging with the aim of disturbing the soil as little as possible, applying composts to the soil surface.  To protect the top soil I also use straw as a mulch and grow green manures.

Good luck and look out for slow worms - they appear to like chalky sites!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

terryf

Very Chalky plot
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 20:17 »
Thanks for the help  :D

Milkman have already found some baby slow worms about 5 t0 6 ins long looked like little silver elvers,I'm thinking of putting a small pond in one conner to attract some wild life into the area.Although it is dry there is lots of slugs and snails about  :lol:

Thanks Terry

xx
Chalky ground

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 06, 2023, 01:45
by Subversive_plot
xx
chalky tasting butternut

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 23:42
by cooperman
xx
preparing chalky soil for veg

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 20:10
by Yorkie
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 36 queries.