vegtable catelogue

• 3 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
vegtable catelogue
« on: May 03, 2009, 21:35 »
Hi guys

Im very new to gardening, and were on a reletively little site so not many other owners are about to ask for advice.

I notice walking round the plots that some people seem to have loads of stuff growing with loads of greenery and others dont.

Can anyone recommend any catalogues which i could get ready for next year so I can start reading up what to plant and when to allow me to get veg all year round as at the min everything in the garden is due to be harvested at the same time lol.

I notice also that there is early and late potatoes, is that the set vartity or does it go by when you plant them.  Sorry for sounding dumb  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: vegtable catelogue
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 21:47 »
I suggest you have alook in the diaries, click on the tab above, gives you a good idea of when to do what.
If you have a few £ spare buy a book, these come highly recommended
http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/

If you click on the information tab above and type potatoes in the box you will find a wealth of info explaining all about potatoes.

Good luck :)

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 21:49 »
There are probably some plots where the owners have overwintered veg (they have been in the ground since Oct/Nov last year).  For example, onions, garlic, broad beans.  Also, some purple sprouting broccoli and other brassicas might be left.  I also have some perpetual spinach still on my plot and has been there since last June.

You can get catalogues from any seed company, eg Marshalls who are quite good.  Order a lot of catologues, don't order anything from them, and then they usually send you a £5 off your first order voucher!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:44 »
Can anyone recommend any catalogues which i could get ready for next year so I can start reading up what to plant and when to allow me to get veg all year round as at the min everything in the garden is due to be harvested at the same time lol.

Not a catalogue, but in case you would like to record your crop details next season I have a spreadsheet which has columns for recording actual varieties and dates, and for your planning phase shows, for each of the normal crops, a calendar of Sowing / Planting / Harvesting dates.

Details in this thread:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34306.msg411041#msg411041

There is also a chart of when to Sow / Plant / Harvest here:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

"I notice also that there is early and late potatoes, is that the set vartity or does it go by when you plant them.  Sorry for sounding dumb"

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

First early, Second early and Main crop potatoes refer to the number of weeks from planting to harvesting.  I plant all three on the same day, some people plant their Main crop first - may sound daft, but it has to do with whether the ground for them is ready, or has another crop that hasn't quite been cleared.

xx
My new vegtable garden - HELP!!!

Started by rusbli on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 09:48
by noshed

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 37 queries.