Wild strawberries or fraises des bois

• 9 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:54 »
Mine have sucessfully germinated and are growing pretty well. They're in the greenhouse at the moment and I have just potted them on.

Does anyone have experience of growing them that can advise me the best place to put them for a permanent home and how to care for them  ? I absolutely adore the fruit so they will be getting the tip toppest care possible and anything they want  :lol:

Also, are they the same as ordinary strawberries in that they take 2 years to fruition ?
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

woodburner

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 17:15 »
My flower borders are full of them ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 18:03 »
do you get a good crop ? I've got loads of seedlings, out of the packet of however many seeds, i think they all came up.

grymalkyn

• Pea Green Boat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 19:22 »
Somewhere you don't mind if they take over  :lol:  They get very carried away and ramble all over the place. I get good crops from mine but I also go round each year pulling 50% out from places I don't want them.

As they're called "strawberries of the wood" in French they are happy enough in shady places that get some dappled sun. Will "naturalise" there well and give you a treat to eat as well.

gobs

Re: Wild strawberries or fraises des bois
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 20:45 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
Mine have sucessfully germinated and are growing pretty well. They're in the greenhouse at the moment and I have just potted them on.

Does anyone have experience of growing them that can advise me the best place to put them for a permanent home and how to care for them  ? I absolutely adore the fruit so they will be getting the tip toppest care possible and anything they want  :lol:

Also, are they the same as ordinary strawberries in that they take 2 years to fruition ?

Alpine strawberries don't have runners and they are very fast to mature a few months, all it is.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 21:05 »
I have just spent two days pulling up (and re-homing) wild strawberries. Whoever had my plot before me loved them! They seem to do quite well all by themselves, in pretty poor soil. I moved a few to under the shady bit on my plot and I´ll let you know how they get on.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 14:41 »
Excellent. We've got a hedgerow on one side of our lottie complete with dog roses, may trees, bluebells and cobnuts, so I will plant them in that area, it's unused at the moment so this will be great

GetOutCat

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:27 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
out of the packet of however many seeds, i think they all came up.

How did you germinate them fibilou? I had mine in the fridge in damp vermiculite for a while, then out in a pot (and some indoors) but only one germination.

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong - what's the secret?  :roll:

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48 »
well, i tried them last year and they did nothing so i didn't have much hope for them this year.

All I did was get a seed tray filled with compost and manure mix, chuck the seeds on it and covered very lightly with a bit more compost. Left them in the greenhouse. They do take a very long time to germinate. I had totally given up when I saw the tiny seedlings complete with seeds on the leaf coming up. I sowed them in February - it's taken that long for them to get to this size

gobs

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:41 »
Very strange leaves, may I ask, what variety are they and where is the seed from?

xx
wild strawberries

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 22:14
by Ian_A
xx
Wild strawberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 19:11
by mumofstig
xx
Wild strawberries...

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 20:52
by Trillium
xx
White wild strawberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 13:51
by londongardener

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 35 queries.