Leeks, how fast they grow?

• 13 Replies

Hodgey

« on: January 18, 2008, 13:13 »
Hi all,

i've just got a propogator and am looking to sow some leek and chilli seeds fairly soon. The distance between seed and roof of the propogator box is only about 7cm. How quickly do you think that the seeds will take to reach the roof? I don't want to put them out too early and watch them struggle in the cold north wind, that would break my heart!!

I was thinking i could build a kind of cold frame to go into my greenhouse to move them into to keep them warm till March, would that work?

Any advice would be super.
"If you see someone drop litter, kill them" B. Bryson.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 13:16 »
My leeks are about to go in, chilli mid-end of feb, leeks will germinate then I will get them used to the cold by popping in the mini greenhouse by day and bringing them in at night, then they will go to the greenhouse. The risk is not getting enough light and they grow week at this time of the year.
Oh and once germinated take out the propagator
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 13:55 »
Aidy

What variety of leeks do you grow? I've got Musselburgh in but they seem rather small but like I said in another post they were a bit late transplanted.

Just another idea any milage in growing as multisown for full size leeks or is that best for baby ones
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 14:01 »
Hodgey

Try to get a higher top for the propagator or stick small canes in each corner carefully surround the propagator and canes with polythene then pop a loose lid of polythene on top to give a bit more height

The same idea using 12mm dowels made into a box frame and covered with polythene as a mini g/h might help

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 14:15 »
I always thought the plastic lid of a propagator was just to keep the warmth and moisture in during germination (a bit like the newspaper and sheet of glass) and not meant to be a "mini" greenhouse? :?

I just have the cheapo moulded plastic ones that fit over the green trays.  When all the seedlings appear I remove it to avoid dampening off.  They either get moved into the (unheated) greenhouse or on the windowsill until more appropriate weather arrives to harden them off.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 14:31 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
I always thought the plastic lid of a propagator was just to keep the warmth and moisture in during germination (a bit like the newspaper and sheet of glass) and not meant to be a "mini" greenhouse? :?

I just have the cheapo moulded plastic ones that fit over the green trays.  When all the seedlings appear I remove it to avoid dampening off.  They either get moved into the (unheated) greenhouse or on the windowsill until more appropriate weather arrives to harden them off.

Hear, hear.

In fact mine got used once.  :roll:

Reading Medwyn's article mentioning this before I bought them, would havee saved me some money. :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 14:45 »
I'm in with Aidy, gobs & paintedlady.

As soon as the seedlings appear, get the top off. Leaving it on will only lead to tears. (And straggly seedlings).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 16:28 »
Quote from: "Celtic Eagle"
Aidy

What variety of leeks do you grow? I've got Musselburgh in but they seem rather small but like I said in another post they were a bit late transplanted.

Just another idea any milage in growing as multisown for full size leeks or is that best for baby ones

The first lot is Leek 'Autumn Mammoth 2 - Snowstar' thios is my Jan sowing lot, then in march I will sow the remainder of the Mussleborough. I prefer the Autumn Mammoth to be honest.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 16:31 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Aidy

The first lot is Leek 'Autumn Mammoth 2 - Snowstar' thios is my Jan sowing lot, then in march I will sow the remainder of the Mussleborough. I prefer the Autumn Mammoth to be honest.

you can tell its friday and i want to go home.

sparky

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 02:23 »

Same here, just hoping that come spring they start to catch up :cry:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:05 »
Quote from: "sparky"

Same here, just hoping that come spring they start to catch up :cry:

Come spring they'll start to flower!

Rob the rake

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:50 »
Good advice already given re. plastic lids, whip them off as soon as the seedlings appear and transfer to a cold greenhouse for growing on. If frost is forecast, just drape a bit of fleece over them for the night.

I usually sow leeks at the beginning of March, which is early enough for a good crop. However, I have just sown an earlier variety than my usual Musselburgh (Jaune de Poitou) since my OH loves leeks and would like them a bit earlier this year. Any thoughts on just how much earlier I can expect them? I was thinking that they might be ready come August, and a second sowing at the usual time should give a crop from November to follow on. I have a Winter-hardy variety to follow these which should extend cropping into March/April.

Will this work, or should I have sown a genuine Summer leek for the early crop?
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

gobs

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 08:56 »
Might get away with it Rob, but be prepared for bolting. Early/summer leek would be less prone to that(if at all) and if sown yesterday, you (well, you are up a bit north) should be able to crop it from mid-summer onwards.

Rob the rake

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 09:17 »
Thanks, Gobs. Worth a try, I think.

xx
Any advice on how to grow celery and leeks?

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 12:05
by carlotta
xx
Do leeks continue to grow during winter?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 07:54
by Sharonx
xx
grow leeks through weed suppresent fabric?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 18:03
by JohnB47
question
Can I grow leeks and celery in rubble sacks?

Started by Carlisle Newby on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 20:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.