hen housing

• 10 Replies

karlooben

hen housing
« on: March 08, 2009, 19:01 »
has anyone used or brought one of these hen houses with runs , i would like to know just how fox proof they are   http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch101n.htm.. i found this but the same thing at my local bird avairy centre is £299 .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

Re: hen housing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 19:27 »
It looks sturdy enough but you'd need to stop digging under with mesh/slabs.

Trouble is, it's barely big enough for 2, let alone 4-5.

I'd say 2 if they were free ranging most of the day.

Rob 8)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 19:28 »
I got the same one and thought that there was enough room in it for four chickens and then found out through this forum, that it was only big enough for around two.  It's lovely in itself - just wish that it was bigger.  In fact, we bought a second one two days ago because we were so impressed with it.  We'll connect the two by their runs.  I found mine on Ebay for £116.  Check them out.  The second one cost around £160 and it had a few more gadgets on it.  They are all about the same construction wise.  You may be able to get away with three chickens in one.  How many chickens are you getting?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 20:29 »
if i decide to buy this although i can see that i will need to add slabs and a dug down wire mesh floor { with soil wood bark placed back on top } it will really only be used as a quarantine run for when ever any of my girls are sick an need to be seprated from any of the other girls . i have a 10 m by 6 m run on my second allotment plot  which houses 17 girls , tis run will be placed o my other plot ... as its a quarantine run i may not ever need to use it until next winter { when the colds an bugs hit the girls again } but who knows . it seems cheaper to get one of these then to build a run and house seprate, i have been offered a really nice house similar to those box tpye ones on ebay for £150  but adding another £200 maybe for the wood wire screws etc for the run .

Big Jen

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 22:30 »
I have a few of these henhouses off ebay and they are only big enough for a trio of very small bantams and then they would need to free range for part of the day.
Definately not big enough for large fowl. The quality is not good either, dont think they will last very long.

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

wafflycat

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:45 »
It looks sturdy enough but you'd need to stop digging under with mesh/slabs.

Trouble is, it's barely big enough for 2, let alone 4-5.

I'd say 2 if they were free ranging most of the day.

Rob 8)

I've seen this sort (identical) in real life. I rejected it as being too small for anything more than a couple of bantams. I've got something *similarl* but bigger and I won't put more than two adult hens in it. I'm delaying getting more hens until I can afford to build larger accommodation. Oh, and that style.. you can get loads from ebay!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 13:14 »
but if you're only using it for quarantine, then it should be fine  :)

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 18:32 »
i will be looking at my ground the weekend once the greenhouse has gone , then i will work out what will be cheaper in the long run . its not building a large run that scares me its the cost of it all as i am one of these ppl that if something needs to be done it gets done and fast , but with a project like this i have to do it as and when i have the money  :(.

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 18:46 »
Agree. As a quarantine run it's fine. As long as you don't get too many casualties ! :D

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 18:59 »
fingers crossed rob that i dont , but i have just been thinking about getting a new 6' 4 shed an sperating it about 3/4 of the way from the door an using that as a house for the chocks and then the the other bit for me for storage as now i dont really have anywhere as i sold the greenhouse to make room for the run . :D

raeburg

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 21:20 »
I have something similar with the two silkie girls in it, but they freerange around the garden all day and only really go in at night.  It would be a good solution as a quarantine.  I've just got a triangular house and run of ebay For 69.00 + 20 p &p.  It's 75 inches long.

7412_1.JPG

xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw
xx
Re-housing 'Darkie'

Started by Luther on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 22:41
by Luther
xx
OK first questions re housing

Started by tanya on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:29
by compostqueen
xx
Housing what is recommended?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 10:20
by Sassy

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.