A newcomers three questions

• 3 Replies

Hattie10

A newcomers three questions
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:11 »
Hi everyone- I am just joining you with 10 browns who have been laying an average of 10 eggs a day, usually a daily double yolker and an occassional triple yolker. They are kept in a large fenced area with some tree shade and a large coup- my questions are the following if anyone could help me-
1. They have eaten everything in the run and the ground is now a brown and sometimes muddy area with nothing except a dead tree to perch on- is this ok or should I add anything- I have no option in resiting the run?
2. How long do chickens live after their initial laying period - I will be keeping my to the end!!
3. They get fed layers pellets, some corn mix, household scrap and weeds. Sometimes they pass watery stools which you reference say may be due to underfeeding!! or too hot- I cannot see how either could apply - can it occur with too much greenery?
Plus sometimes I get 12 eggs a day for 10 hens- is this ok? Many thanks- Hattie

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: A newcomers three questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:58 »
I'm no expert but you could try hanging up some greenery for them to peck at to discourage boredom. I think I'm right in saying that chickens have a finite number of eggs, once they are all used, no more eggs! You may find that they start to go off lay as the seasons change.

henrietta5

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 00:28 »
Hi - I am also fairly new to this and am keeping 11 hens in a fixed enclosure at the moment.  I have tried chipped bark - but there is a fairly lengthy discussion going on this forum about all this - see "using same piece of ground" , also there is a posting by I think 'Aunt Sally" which shows fabulous photos of all the sorts of poo your hens should and should not be doing.  I was pretty astounded to see what they routinely do - but it put my mind at ease re my own hens.  As for lifespan, not sure, I think several years although eg productivity declines after about 18 months with hybrids - anyway there are lots more people on the forum who can answer just about anything !   :)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 00:45 »
Hi Hattie, and welcome  :)

Your situation sounds much the same as mine - no greenery left in their enclosure, especially!

Don't worry. They enjoy dirt even more and find allsorts of goodies in it, besides it providing them with lots of baths  ;)

Since mine have destroyed anything green I feed them cooked greens every day. But not before 2pm, when I know they've downed a ton of pellets first. The pellets actually contain greens (well, peas at least)

I had a hen once that laid 2 eggs a day every day. It's not the norm, but if your hens are healthy and well-fed don't worry. These exceptions to the rule do occur.

My oldest hen was a teenager when she died, and still laying. They vary so much, just like a dog or cat. You can't put a timescale on them, they'll go when they're ready  :D

As for poo, check Auntie's chart in the Stickies. They do allsorts of poos, and what may worry you might be just normal  :)

xx
Unwelcome newcomers

Started by Pig Cat on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 10:35
by Pig Cat
xx
Intoducing newcomers

Started by Tykelad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 20:44
by jo40
xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
more questions

Started by walker on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 20:16
by walker

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 31 queries.