Cheapest way to keep out rabbits etc.

• 22 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
« on: March 04, 2007, 17:32 »
Allotment that I am on is plagued with rabbits. Most other folks have fenced their areas off. i am in middle of plant seeds and seedlings.

Whats the cheapest way of keeping rabbits etc off.

Is that fleece stuff any good.

Thought about making wire cloches out of fencing wire.

Am looking in skips for anything but if I have to go down the bought route whats cheapest option.

Oddly enough have a lot of ferret keepers on site but rabbits seem to be winning at this point.
NOT ARF !

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 18:59 »
We have a plague of rabbits. The only way to keep the little blighters out, is a fence. It is costly especially to allotmenteers who love to be like wobbles and reuse every thing. We got our fencing from a farm suppliers but it still cost a lot. But if you don't fence you will have nothing to eat!!

We tried getting the rabbits genetically modified to eat slugs and snails but the first experiments still wanted a side salad :lol:

Good Luck
always have a target
and an objective.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 19:53 »
5 ft wire , buried 2 ft down on posts is what we do to keep em of the crops ...... and shoot em
still alive /............

Plot No 2

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 19:54 »
I read rabbits won't go through a wall on onions.

A couple of rows of onions around the allotment?

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 20:00 »
Quote from: "Plot No 2"
I read rabbits won't go through a wall on onions.

A couple of rows of onions around the allotment?

cant see that mate as i shot many of em in a fields full of onions in lincolnshire   :wink:

WG.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 20:17 »
Rabbits will eat almost anything, never mind walk past it to get to something to eat.  :(

They've eaten garlic tops, coriander, shallots apart from all the usual stuff

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52 »
Sounds like you're dealing with gourmet rabbits there, WG. I haven't tried this but others swear by it - they purchase Zoo Poo, the trade name of manure composted either for or by the city zoos, to help with fund raising and help eliminate a particular buildup. Seems that the tiger and other big cat poo, because of its high protein content and other major predator smells, is a very strong deterrent to rabbits and such so gardeners sprinkle this Zoo Poo around the garden border and they say it works. No idea if you have this in UK but it's worth a try.  :D

thegazbo

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:01 »
I find shooting them helps or a friend of mine said dog hair tied up into ladies tights hanging from sticks works, again its rabbits fear of dogs?
And there are plenty of pet parlours around these days who would let you have some for free...

Gary

joannazoo

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:46 »
I keep rabbits and have found the cheapest way of keeping them in is chicken wire and a frame of bamboo. I made a rabbit run for less than £10, and they have not escaped yet - so assum they could not get in either, but would sink it in a bit more if it was permanent - my run moves as the rabbits are also known as lawn mowers...

David.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 15:56 »
Mesh part buried in the ground is the only way or they dig under. Your rabbits have obviously got a cushy billet.

LINK

Cheapest from Wilkos when 75% off around Autumn time, but they only seem to have 600mm high fencing left by then. I cut one along the middle and join together, which gives me 900mm fencing for only 23 pence a metre.

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 20:31 »
easy shoot them and put them in pies :twisted:  :twisted:
yours big green bloke
remember plants can't read books

pete

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 21:04 »
Amen, Shoot the blighters. S/he who works the land should reap the rewards and a couple of rabbits now and again aint gonna hurt anyone. Check for mixamitosis though - i ain't sure i'd eat one with it.

Be lucky.
Pete.

geordie lee

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 19:33 »
Best thing i have found for rabbits, is as sugested before shooting. The good old fashioned 12 bore under and over or side by side work well, only problem is the noise so you can only get one at a time. The other way is ferrets and purse nets. i've taken 30 out of one warren in a morning.
hope this helps anyone
GEORDIE LEE

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
just fence
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 18:09 »
i was plagued by millions of them when i started my little plot,i tried sprays,blocks and even poison(sorry)none worked,so i just fenced off with 9x2 in boards with wire on top...not 1 crossed my fence..

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 20:30 »
Munty says its okay if a rabbit has mixi, just don't eat the head!!!  That's right eh Munty????

xx
Cheapest place for VW passat cambelt job

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 08:15
by Larkshall

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.