moving apple tree?

• 5 Replies

3759allen

moving apple tree?
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:42 »
i think i've made a mistake a couple of years ago.

i planted an apple tree and is now not in the ideal place. i have now decided to increase the size of my, what i'm calling a mixed orchard.

as you will know from reading my post i am having real problems with leaf curl on my stoned fruit tree's, so am now going to (when i have enough time) construct roofs over my stoned fruit.

i am thinking of adding one or two more stoned fruit trees, this will make a nice little block of stoned fruit making it easier to construct the roof. unfortunately i planted the apple tree in one of the spaces that i would now rather use for stoned fruit.

so my questions. how damaging will it be to the apple tree if i move it? i assume it's better to move it now rather than in a few years time. and yes i will do it when it is dormant. is there anything that i should do before and after moving the tree?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: moving apple tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 19:14 »
The standard points when moving a tree or large shrub are:

- dig the new hole before you start digging up the tree; I think a square hole is advised these days rather than round
- dig as big a rootball as possible
- I think fish blood and bone won't hurt in the new planting hole
- it's essential to water properly for the first year, winter and summer.

How big is the tree?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 21:04 »
never new about the square hole, but i will do that.

it's being trained as a fan, and will continue with this shape/ style. probably about 5 ft is tall, not exactly huge.

i know you have to move when dormant but when's the latest i can move it? i still have to erect the post and wires.

i have plenty of rotted down rabbit manure would this be ok to add to the bottom of the hole?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 21:29 »
Once the leaves have dropped, you're OK for several months - probably February?  As long as it's not waterlogged or frozen.

I'm not so sure about the rabbit manure, because it will decompose and therefore possibly lead the tree to drop in level.  It probably depends on how much you planned to put in the hole.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 21:31 »
When digging out a tree I start about 1.5m away so to reduce root damage. Get as much as you can out, but also trim the tree itself to balance it out.

Also recommend Dr Hessayon fruit  book

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 09:59 »
at least i have a few months to get myself sorted, just need to find something to use for the uprights to put the strings up.

maybe i'll just add some bfb and nothing else, the ground has plenty of goodness in it as it's been growing veg in for a couple of years so had organics added.

excellent plan made.

xx
Moving an apple tree

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2019, 09:15
by Lardman
xx
moving an apple tree

Started by 3 allotments on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 09:36
by 3 allotments
xx
moving an apple tree???

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 17:47
by Yorkie
xx
Moving an apple tree

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 23:30
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 38 queries.