Hens sit but don't lay (not broody)

• 4 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Hens sit but don't lay (not broody)
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:15 »
My hens were point of lay when I got them a year past June, so they're only around 2 years old now.

Until August, they were laying prolifically - I had 15 hens and was getting 10-12 eggs per day. Unfortunately, while we were away on holiday, the person looking after the animals left the puppies out and they attacked the hens. One hen was killed and about 7 others were mauled. Since then the egg laying has declined to 2-7 eggs per day, but normally 4 or 5 (the hen that was killed normally laid every day, so that accounts for one of the decline).

The mauled chickens have all recovered from their wounds and grown their feathers back.

Now, quite a lot of the hens go through the motions but don't actually lay - i.e. they sit in the nest boxes, and make the "I've laid an egg" noise, but don't actually produce eggs. The eggs I do get are generally from the same few hens, so I don't think they're all laying, but on different days, if you get my meaning.

Do you think this is down to the trauma of the puppy attack, or just coincidence?

The hens are completely free range and also have access to ad lib layers pellets. They also get a bit of mixed corn and poultry spice. Apart from the odd one going through the moult, they all look healthy - they're lively and active, with nice red combs.

Last winter, they carried on laying without any significant drop in number of eggs, even when the temperature plummeted.

Sorry about rambling on, but would appreciate some input!

8doubles

Re: Hens sit but don't lay (not broody)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:25 »
I would say it is likely those that are not actually moulting are about to. Replacing a set of plumage takes a lot of energy so no eggs.
You should soon have new looking hens and more eggs. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26 »
you may have to wait though until the days start to lengthen again - about March time  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:44 »
Also have a look around where they range to see if they have found a "secret" place to lay.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56 »
Thanks for replies.

I don't think the decline in eggs is really connected to the moult, because egg numbers have been consistently low since August. I know (because they have easily identifiable eggs), for example, that my two Welsumers and my White Leghorn haven't laid since then. Before that date, the Leghorn was laying every day, and I was getting 3-4 eggs per week from the Welsumers (between them, that is - not each).

They do keep me on my toes with their secret nests, but some days I'm outside all the time and know that none of them are actually sneaking off to lay - i.e. if they're not in the coop pretending to lay eggs, they're just all together in the barn.

Hopefully, as joyfull says, they'll pick up again in the Spring.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Broody Hens

Started by mocoffey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 17:10
by noshed
xx
Broody Hens

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:43
by joyfull
sad
broody hens

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 15:00
by Legbar

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 39 queries.