Food Mixer

• 15 Replies

Eblana

Food Mixer
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:34 »
I have decided to treat myself to a really nice food mixer.  I have managed to get through two really cheap handheld ones in 8 months so have decided to push the boat out and buy one of the really nice pedestal ones - not cheap by any means so really want to get the right one!

I have looked at a number of them and they seem to vary from 400W to 900W and I am wondering which would be best.  I don't do a large amount of baking (particularly during the summer when I am busy on the plot) but would like one that would be suitable for mixing sponges, merangues, butter icing etc.  I also have no interest in attachments like blenders etc. which I already have.

Any suggestions?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Food Mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:59 »
Well personally I love my kenwood chef.  I waited for years to get one and bought an old re-con on Ebay, but the motor kept blowing, so about 5 years ago I treated myself to a new one.

They do last forever, but the only thing I would say is, that although it has loads of lovely attachments, they are expensive.  I missed my old food processor, and the attachment for the Kenwood was expensive, so last week I treated myself to a food processor too.  Much nicer for chopping and mixing stuff for sausages and burgers, etc.

The kitchen Aid ones are good too.  Joyfull might be on here later and tell you about hers.  She loves it!

Ooops, just noticed your last sentence, so forget about the attachments!!  Although I love my sausage making attachment!!!   ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 13:00 by GrannieAnnie »

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 17:36 »
I would go for a Kenwood Chef too. I have a late seventies model (which is supposed to be the best of the Kenwoods). The motors do go occasionally, but can be fixed with parts for under a tenner. I love mine (secondhand to me). As for your question re watts, most males I have spoken to about things in the past recommend going for the highest watts you can get. That is now how I generally decide which model to buy with most small electrical equipment - and reviews. Check out the models that you are thinking about on Amazon or another review site. It is often enlightening. :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 20:44 »
I agree with Allotmentann. My kenwood is still going strong. Had it so long I can't remember when I got it. Motor is still going strong although I have had the catch that keeps the  top of the machine secured to the bottom, replaced recently.

I do have a food processor too, but you can't beat a Kenwood for meringues and cakes.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 22:21 »
I would go for a Kenwood Chef too. I have a late seventies model (which is supposed to be the best of the Kenwoods). The motors do go occasionally, but can be fixed with parts for under a tenner. I love mine (secondhand to me). As for your question re watts, most males I have spoken to about things in the past recommend going for the highest watts you can get. That is now how I generally decide which model to buy with most small electrical equipment - and reviews. Check out the models that you are thinking about on Amazon or another review site. It is often enlightening. :)

Actually I did get a re-con motor too and that blew up!  I think that particular machine was jinxed.  I've only had my Kenwood the 5 years, but I do know people who still use the same one after 30 years.

How old is yours Mrs B?  And yours is over 30 too then allotmentann!!!!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 22:26 »
Mine must be about 25+years old Grannie.

And it has been worked and worked and worked :D

A bit like me :(

There is a place not too far away from us that mends and repairs Kenwoods, thank goodness so I could get the catch replaced.

The repairman said that the news ones are not as sturdy as the older models.
Bit like me there too. :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 22:29 »
Well I hope my 'new' one at least lasts me out!  But it would be nice to pass it on to my daughter!!   :) :)

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 22:42 »
we bought ourselves a Kitchen Aid mixer (half price bargain from amazon) about 5 years ago and I LOVE it  :D

they're a sturdy piece of kit and we regularly use it for baking, making mayonnaise and bread making - well, the mixing and kneading bits ;)

...and it looks so pretty sat on the worktop  :nowink:

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 07:28 »

Actually I did get a re-con motor too and that blew up!  I think that particular machine was jinxed.  I've only had my Kenwood the 5 years, but I do know people who still use the same one after 30 years.

How old is yours Mrs B?  And yours is over 30 too then allotmentann!!!!

GrannieAnnie - it is usually a very small part within the motor that burns out. If you take them to a repairer it will cost a bit to fix, either because they replace the motor or it is a bit time consuming taking it apart. The actual part that needs replacing is literally pennies, fortunately I knew someone who could fix it. But I love it, I always use it to knead my dough now as I find I can make bread with a wetter dough that way.
Mrs Ball, I am glad I am not alone in my love of the older models (mine is beige and brown and not very pretty, but it can be hidden under a nice white cover!). The model before mine was beautiful with a metal body and there is a company that will paint them whatever  colour you want! They just don't make things the same these days. I was lucky enough to get mine from someone who no longer wanted it and leapt at the chance having used a friends one several times. :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:41 »
The kitchen Aid ones are good too.  

I'd love one of these, but so far the initial purchase price has been prohibitive.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40 »
The kitchen Aid ones are good too.  

I'd love one of these, but so far the initial purchase price has been prohibitive.

I`d like one too but it does not stop at the purchase price as i would need an extra metre of worktop and that would need a kitchen extension !

Lovely bit o` kit though . :)

Eblana

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:41 »
I had a look around last night and the Kitchen Aid one is beautiful alright but very expensive.  The Kenwood (with the exception of the very basic one) are also very expensive.  I did see a Grundig model which looks just like the Kitchen Aid and about a 1/3 of the price.  The reviews for this one on Amazon look good - has anyone on here used it.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 20:07 »
I also love my kenwood chef, worth every penny. I got it from ideal world i think as they had it on offer with lots of attachements. I use the mincer but havent attempted to make my own sausages!
I have a potato peeler that is about 30 years old which i picked up from ebay which is brilliant for peeling (scrubbing) new potatoes - hubby hates the skins on them  :nowink:

Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 16:35 »
Yes Grannie is correct I do love my KitchenAid mixer and should anybody buy one and want all the extras then try buying them from the states as even with the cost of delivery they tend to work out cheaper from there.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 16:42 »
Yes Grannie is correct I do love my KitchenAid mixer and should anybody buy one and want all the extras then try buying them from the states as even with the cost of delivery they tend to work out cheaper from there.

Is that saving inc Import Duty or just if you are lucky ?

xx
Kitchen Aid Mixer

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 06:47
by LILLILEAF
xx
Kitchen aid mixer

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:53
by chrissie B
xx
RIP moulinex mixer

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 00:11
by Auntiemogs
xx
Dehydrating food

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 15:20
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 38 queries.