Polishing shoes

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Polishing shoes
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:25 »
Just read in this morning's Times that Johnsons, the makers of Kiwi polish are to stop selling it in the UK as we no longer shine our shoes due to our obsession with casual footwear. Well sod you Johnsons, I'll find another polish to continue my life-long habit of cleaning my shoes every week. Anyone else feel the same?

GraciesGran

Re: Polishing shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 09:46 »
I have a pair of black boots that were horrendously expensive when I bought them many moons ago.  I polish them after every wear and will continue to do so

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 10:58 »
Two years in the ATC and twelve in the RAF, polishing shoes, there aint much that I don't know!

Addendum, a memory.  While serving HMtQ in Singapore at Tengah on the Lightnings (As the yanks say, aluminum death tubes)  we had two "servants", an Amah and a room boy for all the single blokes in the block.  The Amah was born in Peking in 1900 and she had the ability to sew on a button so it would fall off 10 - 14 days later!  As they say "That's her rice bowl".

The room boys name was Charlie and to say 'boy' was very much a misnomer.  At the end of the day he would form a ring of shoes of those not at work all round him and apply the polish then start again to remove it and buff up the shoes.   One evening we hatched a plan to distract him and swapped all the shoes around!  Next morning there they all were beside the owners beds shiny and spotless as always
Cheers,  Tony. :lol:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 15:00 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 11:02 »
Yes we do here, me not as often  as I should, so I usually leave the polish on overnight, hubby does his more frequently,but I’ve never managed to get him to do mine at the same time, yet I do his washing hmmm might need a rethink on that.  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:18 »
Happy days when I used to spend an evening waxing and polishing wife's mine and the kids' shoes. All proudly lined up on garden bench for all to admire :)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 11:59 »
I imagine the WFH trend has also contributed. I can't remember the last time I took my formal shoes out of the wardrobe and polished them - probably about the last time I needed to wear a tie.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 12:47 »
Well, I'm going for my annual old-codger's health check tomorrow morning so I'll be cleaning mine tonight. Can't be presenting myself to medical staff in dull shoes

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 18:35 »
I always cleaned my shoes religiously, but now my trainers look a bit silly with all that shine...

But I do like to clean and dubbin my walking boots, as I've only discovered this week, that to buy and wear a good pair of knee-high long boots, one needs to do quite a lot of bending and pulling, and it hurts the old back more than somewhat...

So it's one-size-fits-all Wellingtons for when it pours, and decent walking boots when it isn't - unless the dog says otherwise at 7.00am...

(I used to love the spit-and-polish rigmarole on CCF boots! It took ages to get rid of the 'bobbles', but what a cracking result when they all vanished)!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 11:15 »
I love to put a good leather treatment balm on my shoes and handbags as it keeps them soft and they have a nice sheen on as well. Don't have any shoes that need polishing but I used to have and enjoyed using that as well. Nothing better than a well-kept pair of shoes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 12:05 »
Feeling a bit smug about my walking boots, I decided just now, to give them a bit of TLC, and, 'BLAST', the soles on both boots are showing a crack in the welts...

I think I'll let our local shoe repairer have a look at them, as he would certainly have a better adhesive than the stuff I keep in the shed!

And we've just bought a new cooker and hob, so January is proving quite expensive..:0~

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 21:55 »
Work is a pretty informal arrangement for me. Even meetings are close to 100% online (I don't know if other participants are wearing leather shoes shined to a gloss, or bunny slippers, or barefoot).

I reserve shined shoes for weddings, funerals, or the rare job interview.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 07:10 »
I Dubbined my new work boots and best boots,then when I needed a shine on my best boots could not get one ,I used tire black in   the end but found it pearls of the Dubbin after a couple of days    jezza

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 46 queries.