Mentally Exhausted

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Mentally Exhausted
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:56 »
Because of tradesmen.    I need a new back roof and 2 replacement Velux Windows.
I ring them, they either don't ring back, or do, and make an appointment and don't turn up.
So far, the first one that did, was about twenty years old, his name was Billy Joe !  He looked around and borrowed my tape measure, and said he does it all with his 'phone anyway.   Yes, he has a mate who does velux windows,  he is 6ft 5",   This rang a bell to me.    Noneless than the same man, who was supposed to arrive on 22nd September last year and never showed up.  This young man(about whom I felt very dubious) said around £6 to 7 thousand.
Second man, done a new roof for a neighbour nearby.  (Oh, he is marvellous),  In his brand new van he had his computer and printer so that he could print of the quote, so that I could sign it there and then, and he was on the phone, shall I order the Velux now, he said.   No, I replied, how much   £12,000.   Gasped and pulled myself up.   He was like a salesman who calls at your home and pressurized you, and won't go until you sign.    Goodbye.
Next one came. He seemed quite ok.   but he hasn't got back with the price yet.

I have told them that I would like the loft emptied when the roof is off, so that I can sort the rubbish and take the rest to the charity shop or put it in their skip !   They were all happy about that - no trouble.

When I was looking I noticed some bare flex and rang the electrician, who arrived, no appointment, this morning at 9am.  I was still in my dressing gown.   Yes he said I will tidy it up, and change the light which is glass, (in case it breaks) for a tube type that won't break.   I am happy with him.

Still trying to sell Mum's property next door, the felt has half gone on the shed.   I shall have to get the ladder and flip it back myself, and put some bricks on it.  The "tradesman" who was going to do it 10 days ago, hasn't appeared yet.

My brain aches, what is wrong with people, why do they bomb me with leaflets, not appear, not ring back, etc.    I am weary. :closedeyes:   Do other people has this c---p, or is it only me ?  My money is as good as anybodys, in fact it is cash !!!  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

Re: Mentally Exhausted
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:18 »
My boiler guy popped round, but as I didn't know he was going to I had the gate locked. Did manage to sort a date and left gate unlocked for him. He is busy so pops when heading home.
Have you tried help the aged for refelting shed roof?
You could also look at yell.com for window fitter. Lots of companies your way. reviews on the companies help.
Velux starts at £272, but what you do not want to pay for is scaffolding .
Which trust a trader is a very good site for finding people.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23 »
No you're not alone there. I only employ people or firms that have either been recommended by friends or by Trusted Traders website. The other way I do it is by looking on-line for best local tradesmen and look at their reviews. I certainly wouldn't just pick one out of the phone book because their qualifications sound good.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 16:44 »
These people have all been recommended at sometime, by someone.
The Electrician, as I said, seemed a good man, he assured me that it just needs a few wires tidying, which will take 2 - 3 hours.  He gave me the name of a roofer, he has used,  and happens to also be  the man who, we the village people, have employed to do the roofing on our new extension on the village hall.
I rang and left a message this morning, and he has just rung back.   I see him tomorrow at 9.30am.
Please keep everything crossed   xxxxx  crosses or kisses, I don't mind, you are all worth my kisses.  I shall keep you posted.   Mrs Bouquet  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 23:43 »
Seems a huge difference in prices and very expensive anyway - here's a link to the trusted traders site mentioned above - can't do any harm to try
https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:16 »
I hate to say it but would it be worth having a trusted man there to help when these tradesmen visit. Perhaps(very wrongly) they see an older woman on her own (and maybe with your hearin problems) and see you as easy prey? It’s horrible to think that might be the case I know
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:28 »
The trouble is I don't know a man I could trust either  :lol: :lol:.     Mrs Bouquet

al78

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:29 »
Welcome to SE England, the European capital of slowness, with added flakiness thrown in. Carelessness and thoughtlessness seems to be abundant around here.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 18:01 »
When my elderly mum needed a tradesman she got in touch with help the aged. They have a list. In my experience beware of any one called Billy Joe and if they have a van see if they also have a landline number. Even these days most do. I wanted a tree surgeon but was worried about getting " undesirables"so got in touch with the council and she gave me the names of a couple of chaps they use. He was brilliant. Just having a male friend round or borrow the neighbour would help. Make sure you shut doors upstairs as well in case the need to go round the house. Good luck

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 48 queries.