What a waste of money

• 25 Replies

Trillium

Re: What a waste of money
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 15:51 »
Years ago I bought something called a weed claw (or something similar). It was a rolling head with  sharp wedges that you pushed with a sort of rake handle, and it was supposed to clear weeds from veg patches. What they didn't tell you after you paid out the hefty sum was that the weeds couldn't be more than an inch tall and had to be well spaced apart. Who has a patch with that few weeds? Totally useless. All it was good for was aerating crusted (and clear) soil surfaces, no weeding whatsoever  >:(

Eblana

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 18:18 »
Cordless/battery strimmer - can't strim a normal blade of grass/battery won't hold a charge.

Me too ended up forking out for a petrol one instead.

Flymo leaf blower/lawn vacuum.  After 5 years I haven't even put it together  ::)

I put mine together but have only used it once - it was useless

Edited to separate Casey's quotes from Eblana's replies.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 18:27 by JayG »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 09:53 »
I was given a cultivation tool which was a copy of a much more expensive version (which was painted gold if I remember correctly.)

It was all steel, with a T handle, and 3 or 4 bent prongs at the business end - the idea was you could cultivate and weed standing up by twisting the handle to and fro - it didn't actually do anything you can't do with a simple border fork, and the constant twisting action quickly produced some worrying twinges in my lower back!  :ohmy:  :nowink:

Last reported to be enjoying its early retirement somewhere in the darkest, dustiest, most spider-ridden far corner of my shed!  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:56 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11 »
I was given a cultivation tool which was a copy of a much more expensive version (which was painted gold if I remember correctly.)

It was all steel, with a T handle, and 3 or 4 bent prongs at the business end - the idea was you could cultivate and weed standing up by twisting the handle to and fro - it didn't actually do anything you can't do with a simple border fork, and the constant twisting action quickly produced some worrying twinges in my lower back!  :ohmy:  :nowink:

Last reported to be enjoying its early retirement somewhere in the darkest, dustiest, most spider-ridden far corner of my shed!  :lol:

Why not tie a broom handle to the top, attach the handle to the belt of your gardening trousers, and just walk round in circles, JayG?

You could also grind corn and generate electricity that way, and I'm sure that Hampers-R-Us will supply you with a nose bag..;0)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 10:42 »
Think you could be onto something there Growster, particularly when it comes to generating electricity.  :)

What I'm thinking is if I could generate enough electricity to power my defunct cordless hedge trimmer I'd be larfin' - only problem I can envisage is whether I might struggle to cut the hedge straight, or even at all, whilst walking round in circles with a broom handle and gardening implement strapped to my trousers........ :unsure:

jezza

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 23:59 »
 hi i have a cordless impact hammer with lithium ion batteries can undo 2 nuts then recharge with out loosing power, i had a choice of ni.cad  or lithium batteries when i bought it £45 with ni.cad £70 with lithium ion ,lithium ion was the best investment ,recently lent a mate impact hammer to take green house down (300 foot by 80 foot) removed all bolts in 8 hours on 1 recharge   jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 13:00 »
Just after I retired, my OH persuaded me to get a "decent" shredder. Ok - my cheapo one had a hole so small and didn't do the job, so bought a large petrol one that chipped branches via one insert hole, and had a big plastic shute container where you put your prunings, etc to be slid into the other hole. Whilst it chipped stuff well, when I put prunings such as from a rambler rose and other stuff, they just sat there because the poor design of the shute wouldn't allow them to go down it so they could get shredded. Also, it was jolly heavy and my OH fell into my raspberry bed just getting it out of the shed. I had to take it back to the seller to be re-sold and lost some money on it, so I was very cross! I got another one (a Viking) which is brilliant and was half the price.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 17:08 »
"my OH fell into my raspberry bed just getting it out of the shed. I had to take it back to the seller to be re-sold and lost some money on it, so I was very cross! I got another one (a Viking) which is brilliant and was half the price."

So did the Viking speak English then?

Welsh Merf

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 19:26 »
Flymo petrol strimmer . . . absolute rubbish!

However, and strangely enough, Flymo are actually owned by Husqvarna, who make some of the best chainsaws in the world - of which I have one.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Steveharford

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 19:40 »
Ive had a flymo petrol mower for years and its never let me down  .Great for banks and undulating ground. Its biggest problem is its weight as its quite a big one and it takes some carrying. Never tried their strimmer though

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 14:13 »
"my OH fell into my raspberry bed just getting it out of the shed. I had to take it back to the seller to be re-sold and lost some money on it, so I was very cross! I got another one (a Viking) which is brilliant and was half the price."

So did the Viking speak English then?
No, but I did manage a few words of Anglo-Saxon origin. Ah - having just re-read your post, it is called Ethelshred and even getting it out of the shed on my own gives me a great sense of satisfaction and it doesn't half chomp stuff up!  :D

xx
Did I waste my money?

Started by sweetpea84 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 21:50
by sweetpea84
xx
More money than sense?

Started by Willow_Warren on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 15:06
by Beekissed
xx
Advice before I spend money on a cultivator please

Started by BussinSpain on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 01:51
by Otis
xx
Fence Sprayers - worth their money?

Started by samjess on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 11:31
by Junie

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.