mulching

• 4 Replies

neil84

mulching
« on: February 29, 2012, 20:05 »
I have planted some cuttings of currants and gooseberries in a nursery bed until they grow enough roots to move on to their final positions. What is best to use to keep down the weeds? ??? I am worried about using manure because of the risk it will rot the cuttings or burn them. The wood chippings i have access to have a high content of pine needles which i have been told to use only for paths by older plot holders. I think this has something to do with raising the acidity of the soil, and i have benefited from this elsewhere, by using it in planting my blueberries and cranberries. Also many of my cuttings are very short so i don't want to completely loose them in the mulch :ohmy: does anyone have experience of doing something similar? advise please, thank you. 

mattwragg94

Re: mulching
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 20:44 »
i agree with you pine needles wouldn't be a good idea - as you correctly say they will change the PH of your soil, reulting in it being more acidic.

can you get ahold of some leaf mould - this would be a good mulch.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 22:27 »
If you want to keep down the weeds could you not just pull them out?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21 »
After giving a good watering I mulch with straw. Keeps moisture in, weeds down and worms love it. Weeds that make it through are easy to get out. I get straw for £2.50 a bale so it is economical to buy and after 2 years I clear it away into the compost bins.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:32 »
Possibly not very helpful at this stage to suggest that a nursery bed should be weed-free to start off with to avoid competition with young plants or cuttings, but in any case I would have thought that unless you've gone into this on an industrial scale an occasional bit of careful hoeing or hand-weeding would be sufficient.

I wouldn't mulch with anything that might change the chemistry of the soil, nor cold-composted compost which is likely to contain weed seeds - have you any weed-free used compost you could use as a mulch?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
mulching

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:06
by boosh
xx
Mulching

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 21:58
by Trillium
xx
Mulching

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:14
by Goosegirl
xx
mulching mad !

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 14:19
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 35 queries.