Tomatoes help !

• 4 Replies

Marky

Tomatoes help !
« on: July 27, 2006, 17:57 »
My Plum Romas all have quite good fruit on them, and they are still green, however, some have ripened off, but on inspection, have a rotten bottom and a maggot inside.

Is there anythin I can do at this stage to avoid losing loads ?
I lost LOADS of peas to poxy maggots too.

TIA
M

BillinPA

Re: Tomatoes help !
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 18:28 »
Quote from: "Marky"
My Plum Romas all have quite good fruit on them, and they are still green, however, some have ripened off, but on inspection, have a rotten bottom and a maggot inside.

Is there anythin I can do at this stage to avoid losing loads ?
I lost LOADS of peas to poxy maggots too.

TIA
M

Are the bottoms turning black before the maggots start to show up?  If so, it sounds like Blossom end rot.  Usually caused by uneven watering and/or lack of calcium in the soil.  Once the ends start to rot, they're open to all sorts of vermin. I had this problem last year.

If the toms aren't to far gone you can still use them by cutting of the rot  :oops: if you're not squeamish :lol: It doesn't do a lot for presentation thou..........

Do a Google search for blossom end rot, you'll find fixes.
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

Marky

Tomatoes help !
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 19:07 »
That sound exactly like that. I water them every night without fail.I was prob a bit late in starting to feed them.Will tomorite cure it if the problem is calcium related ?

BillinPA

Tomatoes help !
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 19:16 »
Not sure if Tomorite will do the trick.  Here again try GOOGLE, there's over 4000 hits on Tomorite.

milkman

Tomatoes help !
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 22:17 »
Hallo Marky, sorry to hear about your pea and tom troubles.  re the peas I have waffled elsewhere on this website about the use of a viromesh or net curtain tent over your peas to prevent maggots - but it really does work.  Last Sunday I harvested my second bed of peas from under the viromesh and took them camping with me - EVERY pea was green PERFECTION and not a maggot in sight!  Viromesh cloche on carrots also stops root fly in its tracks so really is a worthwile investment  :) better luck next time.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

xx
Tomatoes

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 16:09
by hamstergbert
xx
Tomatoes ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 10:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Tomatoes - how do you do yours?

Started by Jo Loves Veg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 22:13
by Totty
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Jae Dawn on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 15:20
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.