some you win some you loose

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

some you win some you loose
« on: November 07, 2022, 17:20 »
it's a bit disheartening when you see people packing up their allotments, we have 3 people packing up their plots at the end of this season two have health issues one has family commitments, but I'm told the plots are going to be taken so it's not too bad at least the plots are going to be used and not left to nature it's just a bit frustrating that those who take on an allotment don't know what  commitments an allotment can be time is of the essence especially for those who are full time workers for both  husbands and wife or partners and then one must take into account family commitments often people say to me these television garden programs make gardening so easy but in reality gardening can be hard work I often tell newcomers to the allotments you must enjoy working on your allotments  it can't become a chore or effect family life because the family always comes first so anyone taking on an allotment must think very hard before  they commit themselves to an allotment  :unsure:

Kleftiwallah

Re: some you win some you loose
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 18:16 »
You are (as Meatloaf sings) you are jumping the gun.  It is standard council practice to leave empty allotments fallow to bring forth a fine crop of weeds, not forgetting to wait until the local ne'er do wells have smashed every pane of glass in the greenhouse, then in the fullnes of time hand them on.

Cheers,  Tony. >:( >:( >:(
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 07:14 »
My favourite gardening comment was the lady who complained that she's dug up all the weeds on her plot and wanted to know why they had come back!!???  She gave up her plot quite soon after.

Debz

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 12:00 »
It does amaze me why people think they can spend an hour a week at their plot and expect it to be beautiful and productive.  I've got two kids and a full time job and it's often our family time together that we spend at the plot.  The result is the kids have friends there and actually often disappear off to play leaving me in peace to crack on.  Maybe I'm just lucky with my kids and that they've been doing this since one of them was really quite small.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 37 queries.