The 5th NOVEMBER and Fireworks

• 19 Replies

mrs bouquet

The 5th NOVEMBER and Fireworks
« on: November 04, 2022, 13:26 »
This year our village school's firework display will be SILENT ones.   That, of course, does not prevent all the selfish residents from having their own LOUD ones.   Pleasee keep your pets indoors and safe.
When I bred my dogs, I made a cave by putting dark blankets over the dining room table.  Dog beds and duvets inside and me sitting in there to get the dogs used to it.    They stayed secure and safe in their cave.
Whatever you do, please keep yourselves and your pets safe.   I shall go up to the field a couple of times and check the ponies are ok.    Many thanks,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

AndyRVTR

Re: The 5th NOVEMBER and Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 15:53 »
Fireworks should be banned full stop.. they cause unnecessary suffering to animals as well as people when mindless idiots use them to hurt firefighters, ambulance staff etc.

They are EXPLOSIVES and should be banned across the board... including organised displays!! 

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 16:20 »
Fireworks should be banned full stop.. they cause unnecessary suffering to animals as well as people when mindless idiots use them to hurt firefighters, ambulance staff etc.

They are EXPLOSIVES and should be banned across the board... including organised displays!!

I bet you're fun at parties.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 18:13 »

I bet you're fun at parties.
I bet you've never had a family member with facial disfigurement caused by fireworks, or been a fireman on the receiving end of an explosive rocket!!!
Fun has nothing to do with it!

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 08:35 »

I wouldn't ban all fireworks, it's just the excessive noise that should be stopped. There is absolutely no need for a firework display to sound like World war three and the explosions cause much distress to animals and many, many humans as well. Most displays are done to beautiful music, which often can't be heard above the racket which ruins the beautiful effect. Our children loved their backyard fireworks which made no noise (except for the bangers which were banned in our house) and were fascinated by the Roman Candles, tiny rocket, Catherine wheels, sparklers etc. Ban the noise, but not the fireworks, then everyone can look forward to 5th November and not, in some cases, dread it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 09:59 »
I bet you've never had a family member with facial disfigurement caused by fireworks, or been a fireman on the receiving end of an explosive rocket!!!
Understandable Andy, but that's because some people are just idiots, not everybody is.
I do think it is about time they were confined to organised events/displays - rather than on general sale and used willy-nilly throughout the year.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 15:55 »
We used to go to the Cowes Week fireworks which were off a barge out in the Solent.  When the girls were little we watched from East Cowes and then later from Cowes itself.  The area around the barge was     patrolled. We have been to a couple of local 'organised' displays but don't bother now. 

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 16:14 »
Last night we had our annual school display and it was the best so far. Our firework technicians switched to lower noise explosives a couple of years back so the young ones and neighbours are not affected like they used to be. The count is not in yet but we'll have raised a couple of thousand pounds which wil pay for children's trips and equpiment that the school budget can't cover.
I appreciate there are a tiny minority of idiots who abuse fireworks, just like they do with anything in life.
That should in no way mean that the majority should be punished, last night was a fantastic community event with long term benefits to the school and the kids, something that happens up and down the country every year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 18:07 »
Many years ago, the council did a fireworks display from Clifford's Tower here in York - a historic keep on top  of a mound in the city centre. But the crowds just got too much for safety, so they moved it to the racecourse, but visibility wasn't too good and it ended after a couple of years.

The fire brigade have done an event out at one of the park and rides for some years, raising money for charities.

I also went to a play at the Theatre Royal this afternoon, called Guy Fawkes. A comedy written by a local lad about a local lad, and the writer also played the eponymous role.  Superb.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 21:36 »
Many years ago, the council did a fireworks display from Clifford's Tower here in York - a historic keep on top  of a mound in the city centre.
I used to go to the Summer Classical concert at Leeds Castle, here in Kent, bring a picnic basket (high class, glasses, and candelabra, obviously) sit on the lawn, listen to opera and the orchestra.
Towards the end would be the Land of Hope and Glory singalong stuff, but the final encore was the 1812 overture with fireworks that looked and sounded like the cannons being fired from the castle. Happy days  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 21:39 »
I’ve been to that too Mum.   A great concert!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 22:16 »
Yes, I went to something similar in the main gardens here in York this summer. Great fun

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 22:16 »
Loving the silent fireworks on here this evening, too  :lol:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 08:03 »
Understandable Andy, but that's because some people are just idiots, not everybody is.
I do think it is about time they were confined to organised events/displays - rather than on general sale and used willy-nilly throughout the year.

I think thats what I was tring to say MOS.. it just didnt come out right!  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 10:52 »
Someone nearby on the 4th set off something that had an enormous bang and I nearly shot out of my bath!  :mad: Last night started out ok but then there was a period of incessant loud banging. Can't understand why they aren't banned for use by the general public because you are in the possession of explosives; a fact that the police are quick to check up on if you use them with firearms.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
B****y fireworks...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2022, 09:22
by Goosegirl
sad
Fireworks

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post October 25, 2021, 12:44
by Growster...
xx
Fireworks have started

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2023, 08:57
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 55 queries.