Poultry and Pets > The Hen House

Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.

<< < (4/5) > >>

mumofstig:

--- Quote from: helens-hens on December 13, 2012, 15:55 ---I grow a few tomatoes, potatoes etc on a vegetable patch in my garden. If I started a composting system (which I have been thinking of) and put my kitchen vegetable scraps on there, use it for the tomato plants and then allow my hens the odd tomato or 2 (that is if they haven't jumped up & pinched them anyway!) where does that leave me, legally.

One of the main reasons I was thinking of starting a compost heap though was to find a use for droppings & litter from the hens. Again, if I used this to fertilise e.g. said tomatoes , where on earth does that leave us?

--- End quote ---

Composting veg waste and using it to the veg garden has nothing to do with feeding kitchen waste to chickens - a completely different matter.
Feeding hens homegrown tomatoes is also perfectly legal as long as you don't cut them up in the kitchen :dry:

So please can we go back on topic !

Annen:
Sorry Mum   :(

Madame Cholet:
I guess you can sort your veg outside ie remove leaves peel ect for the hens, then take them inside to eat. They would never go near any animal products then.

joyfull:
Correct - as soon as the veg gets into your kitchen then it is out of bounds to your chickens.

devonbarmygardener:
We hang up fresh greens from the plots for our chooks.

They jump to get the fresh green leaves and broccoli - seem to enjoy it too! They stop pecking each other at least. ;)

My peelings, I keep for the compost bin. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version