rats

• 32 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: rats
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 22:54 »
I really do sympathise with anyone who has a rat problem (as I had once) but the only way to be rid of them is to get on and do something and the sooner the better.

Poison does work but it is slow and costly.... go with the traps!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 08:38 »
A word of caution if anyone decides to use fen traps, they are lethal and great care needs to be taken to avoid getting your fingers traped as i think that would be the end of your gardening for this season. I use a pair of heavy duty leather gloves as protection, also usfull when removing your "catch" if you are a bit squeamish. Well good hunting and if you feel guilty about killing gods creatures just think  when humanity has gorged itself out of a home,planet earth that is, the rats will still be here 

Goldfinger

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 20:17 »
Hi all,

If anyone wants to go down the poisoning route to deal with the rats, I made my own poison holders.

First, If anyone knows/lives near a farmer that does silage wrapping or has their silage bales wrapped, ask them if they have the inserts off the rolls of silage wrap.
Some are made of cardboard, others are plastic. Make sure you go for the plastic inserts, (They last forever!) :D

If not get some old water or drainage pipe that is about 90mm in diameter, not the land drainage pipe with the fine holes in. Cut he pipe to about 770mm long, near enough the same size as the silage wrap inserts.
Second, drill a hole the size of a 10p piece half way along.
This is so you can 'funnel in' the rat poison.
You then tape-over the hole in the side with any type of tape because you just renew every.
Once done, turn the tube 90 degrees either way, not so it's on the floor and the poison doesn't leak out. :ohmy:

I find siting it along fences, sheds etc. Because i've noticed rats always like to stay close to fences, walls, etc when on the move, so they should hopefully have to go through your tube. :nowink:

Since i've had mine, no more rats, no smells and it's kiddie safe because our twins haven't even noticed ours along the fence. :D :D : :tongue2: :tongue2:

xx
Vermin (ie rats)

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last Post March 15, 2024, 22:14
by pepsi100
xx
Rats in compost

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last Post December 16, 2014, 15:14
by JayG
xx
Rats Under Me Shed

Started by BlueThumb on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last Post February 24, 2021, 20:05
by Fen

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 52 queries.