Vermin (ie rats)

• 3 Replies

pepsi100

Vermin (ie rats)
« on: February 17, 2024, 11:23 »
Today I went to check on my composters (the dalek and hot bin)

I was going to put some shredded paper in them and a few old cabbage leaves, waste coffee grounds, egg shells
I dont put in cooked food in them (even though they say you can in the hot bin)

I opened up the Dalek bin, there was a rat in there, looks like he has been in there a while, he seems to have dug a tunnel to move around in there
I cant find any holes where he might have got in
I dont know what he could find to eat in there, pretty much everything has rotted away, apart from twigs and woody stuff

I cant cut the grass, the ground is too wet, the grass loves it this winter, he hasnt stopped growing, even the weeds are growing bigger, its been a really warm winter (I dont think we will see the snow falls we had a few years ago

Havent even had a decent frost

Any suggestions for getting rid of them ?

(I have a couple of sticky pads, but I dont think we can use them anymore

I have a couple of bait boxes, but I dont think I could put them in the Dalek composter

When we had hens were infested by them, if they were lucky they caught a couple and killed them (I put bait boxes everywhere, never got rid of them)

Colin the cockerel was the main killer, I think he waited until night, then got them, I found their carcass in the mornings, they all had a good old peck on the body and Colin, made a song and dance about it

But my hens have been gone for 3-4 years now, so I dont know what the heck these rats have come back for
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 11:44 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vermin (ie rats)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 16:36 »
The one time I had a rat in my compost dalek, it was burrowing a little underneath to get in. I made a lot of noise so that it scarpered, then put bricks to block up the gap in the soil. I never became aware of it having returned.

Just be extra careful when handling the compost, and to rinse off any plants grown in it, just to protect against Weil's disease.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 16:44 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 21:21 »
When and if it stops raining, I'm going to lift it up and clear everything
I have some spare tiles, I'll put it back on them, then everything can go back in there
Any holes I find I'll fill in
But I still have no idea why he would think there would be food in there
(I put a sticky pad in there anyway, it was my last one anyway)

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 22:14 »
I emptied out my dalek, mixed it up, put in fresh greens and brown stuff (shredded paper and cardboard
I did find a sort of tunnel where they had been getting in, maybe it was warm enough for them to raise youngsters (never found any)
I found this stuff, it’s a deterrent, peppermint spray, they don’t like the smell of it, so sprayed it all around the dalek and the Hotbin
Haven’t seen them since
Maybe it’s working
Plus it’s a really nice smell in the conservatory

xx
rats

Started by ciderman on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 20:17
by Goldfinger
xx
Rats in compost

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 15:14
by JayG
xx
Rats Under Me Shed

Started by BlueThumb on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2021, 20:05
by Fen

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 42 queries.