Rats in compost

• 2 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Rats in compost
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:57 »
I  have rats in my compost - there are quite large droppings and a burrowed hole.  I presume I can still use the compost, as I imagine a lot of people have them, but don't realise?

Is the compost safe to grow veg in?

Many thanks.

barley

Re: Rats in compost
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 14:23 »
I have had 7 rats taken up residence in the garden this year , ( it seems to be an awful year for them )  thankfully we have managed to clear them all with no further signs of holes or droppings

Re the compost try turning the heap Rats don't like being disturbed , they may move somewhere else in the garden though so you need to trap or poison them or you will be overrun with offspring

I would imagine the compost will be ok to use as the rat droppings will rot along with all other organic matter

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Rats in compost
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 15:14 »
Weil's disease is surprisingly rare amongst the general public (i.e. those who don't spend much of their time in close proximity to or working with the animals which can transmit it), so other than taking sensible precautions like washing your hands after touching the compost and not letting it get into any skin wounds you may have I don't think there is much to worry about, although evicting the rats and preventing them from returning would obviously be a good idea if it can be achieved.

Estimates for the number of rats in the UK vary between 10 and 80 million (in other words, guesswork  ::)) but whatever the actual figure there certainly are a lot of them, and as you said I daresay most of us will have had our gardens or plots at least 'visited' by them on many occasions without realising it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
rats

Started by ciderman on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 20:17
by Goldfinger
xx
Vermin (ie rats)

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2024, 22:14
by pepsi100
xx
Rats Under Me Shed

Started by BlueThumb on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2021, 20:05
by Fen
xx
compost

Started by bigandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 13:50
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.