What sort should I get?

• 17 Replies

Mr R Design

What sort should I get?
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:54 »
I'm new to chicken keeping and have just finished the coop setup.

I live in Oldbury, West Midlands in a normal suburban house.

I only want two but am not sure what to get so I would appreciate suggestions.

Egg laying abilities do not matter it is character that I am looking for and I do not have any problems with Hybrids.

My wish list is: the dafter the better, happy with confinement in a 12 square foot covered run (they will be able to roam but lets say for half hour a day), pretty, friendly and good with children.

Is it fair for me to say that two Speckled Sussex would fit the bill?

If it is what is their likelihood to want to fly over a two foot fence between me and the neighbour? It is not the end of the world if they do, the neighbour is fine I would just like to know. (Every other fence is 6 foot).

I am more than open to what people would suggest and if anyone knows a reputable place to get them from in my area then please say so.

Ta.

Beekissed

Re: What sort should I get?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 21:50 »
Silkies! They are not only daft, but they aren't going to be flying anywhere and seem to prefer confinement...they don't do forage well anyway and are more prone to predation.  How about bantam silkies? 

Mr R Design

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:31 »
Thanks for replying I do appreciate it.

No offence to anyone that has Silkies but I find them to fluffy.

I have thought about Bantams but initially I think I prefer medium'ish sized chickens.

I would however be interested as to why you have suggested Bantams.

Having done quite a bit of Googling there are two sorts that I keep going back to, Barnevelder and Welsummer.

Providing Google is right Barnevelders aren't good flyers because of their wing positions. I can't seem to find any comments about a Welsummers' flying abilities.

Any one have any views on either of these please and do you reckon they would get on with each other if I went for one of each?

Again providing Google is right they are both cheeky little devils and friendly and quite happy to follow you around. Also I get the impression they will be ok in the run for the majority of their time.

Also would one trash the garden more than the other? (I am expecting it to be trashed to a degree by the way)

Fire away with comments and views please the coop and run is ready for them but I don't want to rush and get the wrong sort that will end up in both me and them being unhappy.

RubyR3d

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:48 »
Generally 3 is a better number than 2. When eventually you lose one it will be a lonely existance for the other. Whereas lose one and there's always the other for company. It will then be easier to introduce 2 to the 2 you have left, because you will always find room for more. As for any hens wing clipping helps to minimise the problem of flighty hens. Its like cutting your finger nails and doesn't hurt the hen. There is information in the sticky hen thread how to do it. Though the person you get them from will do it for you if asked. Do go to a reputable breeder and make sure the hens you buy are healthy looking. Can anyone go with you that has hens already. :)

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:56 »
Bantam sized birds are small....small space, small birds.  Seems to fit.  I don't know of any kind of bird that is happy with confinement but Silkies seem to be less eager to live out on range, so they seemed the likely breed for being confined to a small space and they are pretty flightless, so they seemed to fit as well. 

Ex battery hens seem more content in confinement but they don't live very long and can develop laying issues as they age, so probably not the best option for a newbie. 

Mr R Design

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29 »
Thanks both.

I had picked that up previously about getting 3 instead of 2 but I wasn't sure about how happy 3 would be in 12 square feet. The coop itself is plenty big enough.

My logic at the moment was to get just 2 so that I can get in to the routine of looking after them properly.

I will be extending the run a further 12 square foot by the end of summer and at this point I was then going to get 2 more.

I am with you on the wing clipping side and have no problems in doing it. Is it a foregone conclusion that I will definitely need to do it to stop them jumping over to the neighbours? (It is no problem with the neighbour if they do by the way but I would prefer them not to)

I will be surprised if I do not get them from Gobbetts Farm over by Kidderminster as they have been recommended to me by two different friends of my Mothers, both of them keep a number of chickens (and ducks and sheep and cows and horses and a goat)

Any different recommendations to Barnevelders/Welsummers by the way for my situation?

I do hear what you say and take it on board about Bantams but I really am trying to stay away from them providing it makes sense to do so.

By the way, can't you sleep? according to my computer it is like 4.00 o'clock  in the morning in West Virginia!!

Beekissed

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 10:54 »
After a hard day's work sometimes my body is just too revved up to lay down....don't know why that is.  Maybe it gets my metabolism up to far.  Maybe just excitement about getting spring chores done or in the works.  Not sure. 

I've never had bantams or silkies either, but have heard good things about both the Welsummers and Barnvelders.  I think you are on track with just getting two for the space you currently have.  I'd clip just one wing at first...makes is more difficult to fly than it does with two clipped, believe it or not. 

You might also run a few strands of tight fishing line at the top of all fencing surfaces to keep them from hopping up there and then hopping down.  Mostly they hop out more than they fly out. 

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:31 »
Most chooks will be able to jump let alone fly over a two foot fence! You should see t :Dhem jump for the blossom on fruit trees!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 22:16 »
Look up Faverolles, they are quirky, funny, friendly and look ridiculous, hehe, I love them though.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:43 »
I have a mixture, my maran is too heavy to fly over my 4foot fence, the others fly or walk between the picket fence. Whereas the neighbour might not mind the hens,poo in the garden might be an issue.
My pekin bantam is the friendlist, but not many eggs, the maran lays large eggs.
Sussex might not lay for long as it is a dual bird.
Would you get chicks or POL?
Both Barnevelder and welsummer are nice breeds, but unless you can quarantine any further additions 3 would be a better option to stop bullying.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 12:51 »
Is the hen run 12 square feet = 4ft x 3ft  or 12 ft square = 144 square feet ?

Mr R Design

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 06:09 »
Thanks for all the replies.

Faverolles certainly are quirky but just a little to non chickeny for me. I think I prefer your traditional looking chicken if there is such a thing.

I had read up on Marans and yes I do look them but unless some one strongly advises otherwise I will be getting one Barnevelder and one Welsummer. (not Bantams).

I really am not fussed about how many eggs they will lay but when they do I suppose I would prefer them to not be on the small side

Also unless someone suggests different they will be chicks as opposed to POL.

I have no problem getting three instead of two but am just concerned that the run space will be to small. It is 2ft by 6ft internal physical floor space and I don't want grumpy chickens.

They will be allowed to roam but for safety lets say half an hour to an hour each day when I am home.

The extension to the run that I am planning I reckon will be about 3 months away and when it is done I will be able to quarantine any new additions in there. The extension will be a further 2ft by 6ft.

Plans at the moment are get two and get in to the routine of looking after them properly, do the extension and then get two more.

I have put some photos on so that you can see what I am working with. The extension will be going over to the right across the rest of the back of the garage. I will also be raising the roof height of the current run at the same time.
* 1.pdf
(276.06 kB ~ Downloads: 133)
* 2.pdf
(304.5 kB ~ Downloads: 118)
* 3.pdf
(294.01 kB ~ Downloads: 96)
* 4.pdf
(399.78 kB ~ Downloads: 115)

Beekissed

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:39 »
I agree...I wouldn't have three in that space either.  I'd be hard pressed to imagine putting two in there for their life time, even if added on to.  You might find that, later on, you'll want more space than you currently are proposing, simply because it's easier to keep them healthy and their environment healthy the more airflow, sunlight and space they have. 

Helenaj

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 19:12 »
"Also unless someone suggests different they will be chicks as opposed to POL."

I would advise against chicks unless you have a place set up where you can keep them under heat for 6 weeks. You'll not be able to put any chicks out less than that age - they won't survive. I would look for growers (pre POL) - anything up from about 8 weeks old. They will be out from under heat and are still small enough to be "cute" if that is what you are after, but you will need to feed them growers pellets until they come into lay and then swap to layers pellets.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 19:14 by Helenaj »

Beekissed

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 02:08 »
I'd have to disagree with that a little.  I brood chicks right in the outside coop, just using a heating pad "cave", from day one and they are out on free range by 2-3 wks, even with temps still in the 30-40s at night.  They can very much survive as long as they have a spot to return to and get warmth. 

xx
Here at last - sort of!

Started by Des C on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 20:48
by Barry J Scott
xx
What sort of chick have I got?

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 22:14
by Vonnie
xx
sort of cough

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 19:21
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Some sort of Pro-lapse

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2014, 15:12
by Sassy

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 32 queries.