Feather pecking

• 9 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Feather pecking
« on: October 05, 2015, 20:48 »
Please can anyone help me, I am at a loss as to what to do with my previous docile silkie hen. I have 3 black and 3 white but Millie is being very violent towards the three black but I think it's more than feather plucking. She growels when you or the other hens go near her and fluffs herself and charges at them biting them and cornering them and they are scared to move. I tried anti pecking spray today but this never seemed to do anything at all to stop her and within ten minuets two of my hens very nearly died due to the spray it was almost like they were drunk and unable to balance and were on their sides. I ended up bathing the three and bringing them in to dry off they seem fine now. I need to stop this violent behaviour as soon as possible I've put her in a seperate cage and scared to put her back. Any information I would appreciate. Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 21:01 »
Are the black silkies a new addition Frizzle ? If so, it could well be the usual routine of sorting out the pecking order and keeping Millie away for a few days may well sort it.

They can bond with the remaining hens and Millie will have to re-establish herself, which should keep her too busy to worry about anything else.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 22:15 »
Thank you for replying. No they were all bought at the same time back in April as POL and began laying late July. They had already sorted out who was going to be the dominant one among them but she was never that violent at any stage but they all done as they were told including the once docile one that's doing the damage. Even the dominant one that use to be is frightend by her and hide away during the day. She won't even let Meg madge and mable the black ones enter the coop at night, don't know quite what to do now for the best.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:54 »
Pecking orders do change and it sounds like Millie has aspirations and has gone a bit power mad.  Hens can be terrible bullies and some are just can't be top hen without going over the top.

This is going to sound harsh, but if everyone else is getting on, it may be best to rehome her.  If she continues to terrorise the others, they will stop laying and everyone will be miserable, including you  :(

If you warn people, they will know she has a history and will take account of this.  If she went to a home with a cockerel or larger fowl, she would have to behave herself.  Maybe try Preloved.  There are breeders on there who wouldn't be worried by her behaviour and would use her as a broody  :)

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 15:24 »
Thank you again for your reply. If all else fails I would have to consider it but very reluctantly. Today she is growling and puffing herself up when I or another hen goes near her to what looks like twice her size. Cannot believe the sudden change in her behaviour to what she use to be. Something has definately rattled her cage and not sure what. Thanks for your help anyway

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:42 »
You could try beak clips some on here have great success with them   :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 15:12 »
Thanks sassy, do they have to be removed after a while I'm not quite sure

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:26 »
Thanks sassy, do they have to be removed after a while I'm not quite sure

Sorry I've never used them so I don't know how long they can stay in for. Hopefully someone will be along to advise. You could also ask suppliers what they advise. You have done the right thing in the meantime by removing her. If you try putting her back after 2/3 weeks you may find it has settled things down as she should go back in at the bottom of the pecking order. It's not an exact science!  :)

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05 »
Thanks sassy for all your advise I will try to look for some today and will definately try them who knows they may work, I hope so

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:08 »
Thank you new shoot as well for your advise it's been a big help

xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 11:06
by fourmoon
xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas
xx
Feather pecking

Started by soya-bean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 14:02
by stan deakin
xx
Feather Pecking?

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 18:07
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 37 queries.