bread book

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

bread book
« on: November 23, 2011, 20:41 »
just back from bonnie scotland and treated mself to a book on bread got a good selection carnt wait to do something  :D
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: bread book
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 20:46 »
Mmmm.  Pity this website doesn't do smell-o-thread.  I love the smell of bread baking.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 22:07 »
I went into Asbos and they were baking Toffee Apple Bread MMMMMMMMMMMM

of course I had to buy some, and it tasted delish as well.

(It tastes a bit like hot-cross bun with apple pieces in)  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 20:13 »
theres greek, american , jewish i think , swedish loads and an irish one that sounds just like my bannock so im trying that first fingers crossed
chrissie b

Debz

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 10:07 »
My husband has announced that his new years resolution is to try and make a different bread each week.  I am looking forward to sampling his produce and thankfully he is going to make it on a Saturday right after I have been weighed at WW so I will factor that into my weekly count and have the rest of the week to work it off again.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 14:44 »
My husband has announced that his new years resolution is to try and make a different bread each week.  I am looking forward to sampling his produce and thankfully he is going to make it on a Saturday right after I have been weighed at WW so I will factor that into my weekly count and have the rest of the week to work it off again.
Fresh bread with non of the ingredients we have never heard of unless you have a phd in chemisty appears to be less likely to have you put weight on, my wife being the proof and she is WW. When I worked out the amount of salt etc and on the little 1.5lbs loafs I make it is less than mass produced chemical bread. The hardest part to home baking is to keep making it  ::) I bake pretty much everyday, I cant stand mass produced garbage, every night I make 6 barmcakes and they get eaten by all at home in no time.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 14:54 »
, every night I make 6 barmcakes and they get eaten by all at home in no time.
[/quote]

Would you care to share your barmcake recipe, please? I've been looking for one for ages.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 19:16 »
, every night I make 6 barmcakes and they get eaten by all at home in no time.

Would you care to share your barmcake recipe, please? I've been looking for one for ages.
[/quote]

I'm in the queue there too please, Aidy  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18 »
These are not the healthiest on the block, but hey you only live once as they say....
In order of going into the tin.
1 n 1/4 cups of water
1tbsp dried milk
2tbsp sugar
1 n 1/2 Tsp salt
2 tbsp of melted butter
3 n 1/4 cups of strong white flour
1 n 1/2 tsp yeast (breadmakers)
Set on dough setting, when done cut into 6 pieces and place onto buttered baking tray, oven should be pre-heated (with a bowl of hot water for steam) to 90c and pop your barms in, bake for 35 mins then turn up to 140c for 25mins and they should turn out like these...

and the finished article....

(I know there is only 4 but I like big barms  ;))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:33 by Aidy »

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 15:23 »
Oooh, nice. Many thanks.

Fresh flour and a new packet of yeast on shopping list for tomorrow.  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 22:38 »
i made from my new book 2 french bagettes and although the texture wasent bad i was dissapointed with the crust , i did put the bowl of water in the bottom of the oven , but the taste was the best ive achieved so far , regarding the barm cakes the cup measurements are they any sized cups ? allways have problems with them , dont suppose you would have oz instead xx
chrissie b

Brambles

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 00:43 »
Thank you Aidy... your barmcakes look yummy.  Will deffo try your recipe tomorrow... fingers crossed they look like yours!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43 »
i made from my new book 2 french bagettes and although the texture wasent bad i was dissapointed with the crust , i did put the bowl of water in the bottom of the oven , but the taste was the best ive achieved so far , regarding the barm cakes the cup measurements are they any sized cups ? allways have problems with them , dont suppose you would have oz instead xx
chrissie b
I have a propper measuring cup chrissie, it has all the measurments on the side, similar to a jug, no idea what the weight would be but I am happy to measure it all tonight when I make tonights batch.
As regards the crust, if I remember right, you should brush the bread before baking with water and I would think increase the temp at the end, I found this when I was perfecting the barm, I originaly started off with a temp to high and the crust was a bit to hard/crispy so I gradualy lowered it to get it how I like them. The bowl of water is to help them rise again in the oven.
 Try baking at the temp in the book but say reduce by 10mins, then the last ten mins increase it to a much higher one and see if that works, then if better reduce by 15 mins and so on until you get it just how you like it.

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 23:07 »
hans for that , tonight i made some nann bread to go with our curry and they were great even though my 2 kids decended with 5 grand children in tow , front room looked like a tornado had hit how do they know when its tea time as we hae different times of day depending what time hubby comes in from work they do it every time and our little curry would nt streach so they are all coming for dinner sunday instead but back t the nann they were quick to make and got 6 good size ones .
chrissie b

Slowgrind

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 13:29 »
Returned from holiday this week where we were spoiled with the amount of great food that our family provided for Thanksgiving and every other meal that we sampled over our time away. Daughter in Law is the best cook and she has inspired me to try a number of new recipes. I've got a sourdough starter on the go at the minute and have baked fresh bread a couple of times since returning home. After seeing Aidy's barms I can't wait to give them a go I'll post the results anon!!  :tongue2:

xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Val and John's new book

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 21:12
by Madame Cholet
xx
Val and John's book

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 22:32
by GrannieAnnie
xx
cookery book

Started by tetley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2007, 13:03
by tetley

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.