Poorly Chicken

• 3 Replies

miss_t

Poorly Chicken
« on: June 30, 2010, 21:41 »
Hi,

This is my first post here, so I'm not sure if I've posted in the right place - if I haven't please feel free to move it!  I did write a post, but have lost it somehow, so am having to do this again!

I have 2 black rocks who are about a year and a half old - maybe a bit younger, one is broody (which is a nightmare) the other Matilda is very poorly at the moment.  She was fine yesterday was running around the garden causing havoc and eating as normal, but this morning when we went to let them out of the nest box, she was very cold and wet and was hardly moving.  Her eyes were shut and she only opened them if we called her.  We put her in a box in a warm place, and she did start to perk up a bit.  My OH  took her to the vet, she's not eggbound, they checked her, but declared although she wasn't in pain it could be a number of things and told him there was no hope and to put her to sleep.  My OH refused and said he'd bring her back in the afternoon, as I wasn't there to say goodbye, to which the vet replied there was no point as she would last 6 hours.  My OH then asked if she could be given something to sustain her, which they did. 

As he then had to go to the hospital, we couldn't take her back to the vets as his appt was really late.  When we got back home he put her back in her nest box so she was comfortable and she immediately walked down to her water and had a good drink. She has since been running around in the garden, eating insects and grass etc and has had a dust bath.  We really don't know what is wrong with her.  She has lost a weight, but she was always smaller than her sister.  She also has a very pale comb but once again it was never a dark red.  She also hasn't laid for about 10days sinse sis got broody.  We also have a mite problem, although we are using poultry shield to do a weekly clean, we haven't been able to break the egg cycle.

I know it may not be likely she will make the night and she is likely to pass away, I've read a lot of posts from people whose chooks are displaying the same sympoms and they've not had much luck with bringing them back to full health/  I know I can't get a diagnosis from anyone here,  but I am willing to try anything to try to help her recover from whatever it is.  Am just very annoyed the vet didn't seem to want to help, especially as 30mins after we were supposed to have gone back she was running around the garden.

Any advice would really be much appreciated as I want to do everything I can to help her feel better.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Poorly Chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 22:30 »
Will move you into the Hen House which is the best place for questions and advice.

If you have a mite problem that might account for her being pale and listless and you need to keep trying to get on top of them, I know they can be a nightmare. Also when was she last wormed as a high worm load can make them very unwell?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

miss_t

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:43 »
Thank you for moving the post.

Thankfully Matilda made it through the night, and as I speak is perched on the patio door frame preening her feathers.  It could be worms, as I haven't wormed the before  :unsure:  Am going to Dodson and Horrell today so will pick up a wormer and will worm both of them.

Thanks again for your help.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:11 »
if you can get flubenvet this would be best to worm them with, also ask your vet for some frontline spray to treat her for mites and lice and as this isn't licenced for poultry so your vet should get you to sign for it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
poorly chicken

Started by scarlet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 20:19
by scarlet
xx
Poorly Chicken - Help Please

Started by Scrumptious on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 23:53
by Lindeggs
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by NikkyNak on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 15:10
by Jeanette
xx
Help! Poorly Chicken!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:13
by Very new to chickens!

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 36 queries.