Poorly Chicken ~ Please Help!

• 15 Replies

Richardm

« on: January 14, 2008, 20:07 »
Hi
Would appreciate any advice on what might me up with our cream leghorn 'Toyah'.  Firstly should point out that I am very new to keeping chickens (4 in total) and have had them around six months.
Instead of running out of our chicken house, she sat slumped in the middle.  On trying to pick her up, she hopped around a little them slumped back down, with her legs out in front of her.  I picked her up and held her feet against my hand and she seemed to push - assumed she might have broken a leg (lords know how as none of my birds seem to use the perch to roost!).   I left her in a laying box by herself and a few hours later she hadn't moved.  So she is now in our conservatory (much to the amusement of our cat), eating well and drinking well.   She seems to be able to shuffle herself around within the box and is now picking up food herself.  Yesterday she only ate out of my hand and left any bits that fell.  She is moving her head around and makes a little bit of a noise, but won't stand.  I have had her from around 14 weeks old in the summer.  She had never layed a egg!  Not sure if she is egg bound, but other than the fact she can't get up she seems to be alert.  Any ideas??

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 20:08 »
oo sorry to hear she's poorly.

i cant help, but someone will be along shortly who will be able to offer some advice.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 20:17 »
Have you examined her to see if there are any obvious problems.

i.e. things that seem different to usual.

She may have jumped and pulled a muscle/ligerment, which can take a while to get better.  Is she hot under the wing ?

Richardm

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 21:12 »
I've had a neighbour who keeps about 20 chickens look her over and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious.  no signs of diarrhea.  If I feel under her wing - how warm should it be??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 21:14 »
Compare it with one of your other birds.  If it's warmer then she may have an infection.

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 21:17 »
I had a Maran who went like that a while ago, sorry to say that she got worse and worse and we were never able to establish what it was.  She was alert but unable to use her legs at all.  The problem got worse as the other hens picked on her because she was weak. I hope your hen gets better.

Richardm

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 21:28 »
I'm keeping her inside so to avoid her beng distressed by the other chucks.  How long should I wait to see if there is any improvement.  None of my chickens lay eggs so they are more like pets.

Selkie

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 21:29 »
Hope she shows signs of improvement Richard.

How come none of yours have laid any eggs?

Richardm

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 21:37 »
I wish I knew - they are fed layers pellets, corn, have a large run, a large shed.  Dozens of laying boxes filled with wood chippings/straw/hay.  Nothing seems to do it.  Incidentally, I'm Helen, Richard's wife and I have a long standing history of not picking great pets!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 21:39 »
They should start laying as the days get longer  :D

Selkie

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 21:40 »
Quote from: "Richardm"
I wish I knew - they are fed layers pellets, corn, have a large run, a large shed.  Dozens of laying boxes filled with wood chippings/straw/hay.  Nothing seems to do it.  Incidentally, I'm Helen, Richard's wife and I have a long standing history of not picking great pets!

:oops: Sorry HELEN :D

Why not put that as a question in a seperate post, you might get the answer!! (that's if you haven't done it already)

Selkie

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
They should start laying as the days get longer  :D

:D It's soooo true -- mine started laying on the 5th January (after MONTHS of non-laying) and in the last week we've had 10 eggs - from 2 hens, which isn't bad at all  :D

Richardm

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 21:48 »
Fingers crossed.  We have a west sussex speckled and 2 bantams (as well as poorly Toyah), and I have been told that pure breeds generally don't lay as much as.  However, I was expecting at least one or two in the six months we've had them!  I did wonder if that may be the problem with Toyah in that she has never laid.

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25 »
some of my chooks came into POL as the days got shorter last year, so they didn't start laying but something is happening now with them as they are in and out of the house a lot, and are doing that crouchy that they do when they want to mate? And moulting a bit

Richardm

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 16:49 »
Just back from the vet.  Toyal quite likely also had marek's disease.  Hopefully the other chickens will be ok.  So sadly we had to have her put to sleep.  Many thanks for all your replies!  Will probably be posting again for advice on getting the other chucks to lay.  Have noticed that our 3 remaining chickens have started to roost, so hoping thats a good sign!

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by dink on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 20:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
poorly chicken

Started by janetsgirls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:51
by janetsgirls
xx
HELP please...poorly chicken

Started by SarahCarter on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 14:06
by Vember
xx
poorly chicken please help

Started by riapapp on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 17:32
by CattinJ

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 34 queries.