What can go in the ground now??

• 13 Replies

Benandbill

What can go in the ground now??
« on: February 23, 2011, 18:45 »
Is it too early to put broad beans in?  What about onions, shallots, carrots??  Is it too early?  I'm itching to get planting     :wacko:

daisy1990

Re: What can go in the ground now??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 18:48 »
I would be patient, old gardeners often advise nothing before Good Friday (makes no sense as its a different date every year!)  There is little advantage in getting anything in too soon, even if it makes a head start the risks of frost damage are still high.  I would spend time preparing soil, pruning, checking for winter damage, preparing compost bins, building a shed...............
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 18:52 »
I think shallots can go in now and onions in a few weeks time. I have sown early nantes carrots under fleece and may start some broad beans too. I don't have an allotment  so I'm planting in a very small garden that is quite well protected from the elements. Allotments may well be very different to my gardens micro climate.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 19:17 »
Is it too early to put broad beans in?  What about onions, shallots, carrots??  Is it too early?  I'm itching to get planting     :wacko:

As J & K has  said, it is really down to local conditions.
In some areas some will have put broad beans in, and some will no doubt have to take protective measures against  late frosts.

We to have sown some carrots, not that many, but they are in troughs which are easily movable and are covered.

Onions can be sown as seed under glass. Sets can still wait a week or two.

We put our onions and shallots for overwinter, but recently decided on another shallot bed for later cropping.

Trouble I found  on Monday was getting decent packets of shallots, we visited four reputable local garden centres and rejected every packet as they were either going soft  or had mould growth on.
Finally got some at a D I Y chain.

I'll keep them dry and cool until the soil is a little drier.

Daisy's advice to be patient  is good sound advice unless you are in a very sheltered area

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

digalotty

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 22:57 »
if you want why dont you put some seeds indoors to grow and then when the weather is milder and safe to plant out put some seeds in as you put the plants out and see if you get any good results.
in my opinion you will learn more from doing and then next year you will know what is best .
some brassica's are better to get a firm root before planting out so why not try some and garlic can go straight in the ground around now as a frost will do it good
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 23:05 »
Parsnips can be sown outdoors from Feb as can spring onions.  That's just looking at the packets of seeds on my desk.  If you check the back of your seed packets it will tell you

Spring garlic can be put in but not in waterlogged soil obviously.

I don't think there's any rush as you  don't want seeds sitting in cold soils - they only rot

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:23 »
Parsnips can be sown outdoors from Feb as can spring onions.  That's just looking at the packets of seeds on my desk.  If you check the back of your seed packets it will tell you

Spring garlic can be put in but not in waterlogged soil obviously.

I don't think there's any rush as you  don't want seeds sitting in cold soils - they only rot

Parsnips rarely germinate well in cold and wet soil. Far better to leave them until March or April. Personally, I sow parsnips in the last week of April  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31 »
April for me also. If the packets give a date range, it's usually better to aim for the centre or even later part of that range.

Unless you want to buy more seed!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Benandbill

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 18:18 »
Cheers folks!!

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 21:12 »
I agree with all of the above, also if you are able to prepare a seed bed, the soil must be dry enough to break up (mine is clay so have no chance really yet!) to a fine tilth, otherwise the seeds will have a tough time trying to germinate. Clay also takes quite a while to warm up in wet conditions. If you have sandy/light/loamy soil in a sheltered spot you could cover with fleece or a polytunnel, leaving for a couple of weeks to warm the soil and sow some carrots/parsnips in there. Although you may do this and find when you come to plant the seeds the weather has turned colder again, so just play it by ear and make preparations! According to percy thrower, broad beans can go in the first week of March if the conditions are favourable.

Benandbill

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 21:48 »
I don't know old Thrower but what I do know is a wise ol' sage down our allotment told us that it's a good idea to get your broad beans in quite early as if they pick up a bit they'll deal with the frost and the black fly can't lay their eggs on them when it's frosty so that's the best time.  I had on row last year that were covered in black fly and anothere 3 all next to each other that weren't touched.  Can't remember which I planted first though or when!   :ohmy:

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 21:52 »
I tried planting my broad beans direct on the plot in mid feb last year and they didn't get off to such a good start. They didn't get black fly, but I planted some indoor reared seed in my back garden veg bed about a month later and they caught up with the first lot on the plot by April. So it's really down to local conditions!

Benandbill

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 22:32 »
If you soak them in parafin for an hour before planting them it stops the mice geting them  ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 00:10 »
It's a good idea to dry out and warm up soil where you want to plant early.
I've got a few cloches which I put out in January and I'll be sowing early carrots, parsnips and beetroot soon.

xx
what has everybody got in the ground already?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 13:53
by GreenOwl
xx
Anything I can put in the ground now?

Started by redj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 13:27
by Daamoot
xx
New Ground

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 20:26
by sunshineband
clip
Can these go into the ground?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 00:22
by al78

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 33 queries.