Sugar v Syrup

• 6 Replies

ecky

• Experienced Member
Sugar v Syrup
« on: January 06, 2013, 23:58 »
Can someone please tell me what the equivalent amount of golden syrup would be for 4 oz sugar.
I'm trying to recreate a fruit loaf my mother used to make us kids 1955-1960. It was her mothers recipe ,(now lost), when she was young during WW2

The nearest I have got is Bara Brith but with the sugar and fruit reduced by half. My taste memory tells me it is very close.
She recalls the steeping of the fruit in tea and insists that her mother used syrup instead of sugar because of rationing.
Thanks

allotmentann

Re: Sugar v Syrup
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36 »
I always used to use a tablespoon for an ounce as a child. I think a level tablespoon is roughly an ounce with something like syrup. :) If you mean can you sustitute syrup for sugar I am not sure, it may change the texture etc of the cake altogether. But if I were going to try a substitution I would try with the same weight of syrup as called for of sugar and experiment.
Have you tried googling fruit cake golden syrup recipes? You may come up with something closer?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:43 by allotmentann »

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47 »
Something like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/oakcottagerecipes/irish-boiled-fruit-cake
 :)

Strangely, a few mintes ago whilst reading a book, it said that golen syrup is 40% sweeter than sugar, if that helps.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:07 by allotmentann »

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 23:51 »
Thanks allotmentann.  It was the equivant amount of syrup to replace suger I needed.
I'm sure this will alter consistency and taste but I have to try it as my mother is adamant that syrup was used during war time. Proof of the pudding is taste so we will see.
Thankyou.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 00:02 »

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 23:58 »
thanks to both of you. Have settled for basic bara brith with half amount of fruit and used 2 tbl of golden syrup instead of sugar and then waiting 3/4 days before eating.

I have another memory of a fish pie at school about 1964/5 that I have tried to replicate and failed. It was served in those oblong aliminium trays 2.5cm deep?(10 servings) with a pastry base. Mashed potato was served on the side with tinned chopped tomatoes.

I feel it was an oily fish. Have tried Mackeral/pilchards but all attempts have turned out to dry.
Tuna is not dark enough. any thoughts?

ecky

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:14 »
No, sorry. I think a lot of school meals were quite regional and I don't think that we had anything remotely like that. Interestingly, now you have mentioned it, I don't remember there ever being any kind of fish on the menu. Perhaps someone more local will know, it might be worth starting a new thread so that people see it. :)
Do let us know whether the cake tastes as you remember it.  :)

xx
Rosehip Syrup

Started by Milly on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 29, 2012, 19:04
by mumofstig
xx
Rose hip syrup Q'

Started by richyrich7 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:04
by richyrich7
xx
Dandelion syrup

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 13:39
by HLS
xx
measuring golden syrup

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 15:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.