whats with my strawberries

• 7 Replies

prakash_mib

whats with my strawberries
« on: February 22, 2012, 13:56 »
had a quick visit to plot recently and found all my strawbs are brown and looked dead cover. didnt manage to investigate futher. is this normal for this time of season or should I fear worse?  :(
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: whats with my strawberries
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 14:26 »
It's normal for quite a lot of the old foliage to be dead at this time of year but there should be at least some sign of green in the crowns of the plants to show they are still alive.

Have a closer look before you start despairing!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 15:25 »
Mine are like that too!  I spent a jolly afternoon cutting all the dead stuff back and trimming to the green stuff. Looks Ok now.  I also found loads of runners from the strawberries so potted them on too.

I am fairly new to strawberry plants but I believe they are fairly hardy. Looking where the new plants have trailed too and are thriving I thnk they must be.

On a new strawberry note has anyone had any luck with strawberry bags?  I planted two out last year and had beggar all from them although they did take themselves on their travels to the soil next to the bags.

The others planted in the soil did OK apart from some botritis on the Garigette.

Think I planted too close together. World's worst at that!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 15:41 »
On a new strawberry note has anyone had any luck with strawberry bags?  I planted two out last year and had beggar all from them although they did take themselves on their travels to the soil next to the bags.

On the basis that they work on the same principle as strawberry pots I'd say they're a pain in the butt! I found it hard to stop some plants getting too dry, some too wet, and all got infested with woodlice which obviously found the "pockets" irresistible and set up home in them (and guess what was the favourite item on their menu!)  :nowink:

trampyjoe

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 16:47 »
On the plot I've just taken over there is a veritable sea of strawberries with islands of green in and lots of runners heading off on their travels in all directions. Getting in and cutting out the dead stuff is a job I'm saving for a warmer day.

In fact, here's a picture!

Last summer we had 2 of them strawberry planters and they were perfectly fine for the garden. Had a reasonable crop off them throughout the season .. got rid of them now we have the allotment though.

mattwragg94

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 17:55 »
mine went like that last year, so i presumed it was frost.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 18:32 »
Wind is something else that strawberries seem to dislike.

I have a routine with strawberries. August they get the runners taken off. Last year but one I lifted the entire bed into pots and dug in decent compost to renovate the bed as I had no space anywhere else for them. I believe in adding bonemeal to encourage the roots over winter as well as removing dead growth on a regular basis.

I have just invested in a decent bag of compost from the garden centre and mulched the strawberry patch as it needed topping up. This has the added advantage of having some food in it which will get them started off for the season. When they start to flower I shall use tomato feed to help them to form fruit.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 18:43 »

On the basis that they work on the same principle as strawberry pots I'd say they're a pain in the butt! I found it hard to stop some plants getting too dry, some too wet, and all got infested with woodlice which obviously found the "pockets" irresistible and set up home in them (and guess what was the favourite item on their menu!)  :nowink:

Yep, I have come to the same conclusion and OH who is a whizz with DIY is making some raised strawberry tables and the plants from the bags are going in there.

Christine, I will try what you suggest. I am still learning with this GYO and this year it is the year of getting the strawberries and the brassicas right.
Cheers.

xx
Strawberries Flowering! Whats going on?

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 21:49
by solway cropper
xx
whats eating my strawberries

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2018, 10:45
by oldgrunge
xx
Whats up

Started by taytors on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:10
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Whats going in yours

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 17:10
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 34 queries.