When can Epic stay out full time?

• 5 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
When can Epic stay out full time?
« on: June 18, 2011, 19:33 »
I know it's a bit of an obscure topic title but...

I have raised Epic from 3 weeks old, he (or she) will be 7 weeks old tomorrow and has been out in a run during the day for the last 2 weeks but has spent each night in my front room in a dog cage up on a perch. He (or she) has had a couple of days free ranging under my watchful eye and is very confident, squaring up to the ladies with a flared ruff but jumping ever so high if they whisper boo!

The thing is although I have a small house & run that he (or she - you get the picture...) would be secure in, Epic would be the only bird in there and despite having most big bird feathers now, would also not have any other feathered company.

I know I'm being a bit of an old mother hen about this but I only want what's best for the little 'un   :wub:

bantam novice

Re: When can Epic stay out full time?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 19:49 »
Hello Catsmuvva,

my two are about the same age and seem to be happily sharing the run with the big girls.  If there is enough space Epic can always get out of the way if necessary.   Just make sure that there are plenty of feeding and drinking stations.

On the subject of food is s/he still on chick crumbs?  Hens love chick crumbs and if they are medicated you will need to stop eating the eggs.

I'm not an expert and I'm sure other people will be along to share their ideas.  In the meantime good luck  :) and how about a picture of Epic  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 20:06 »
I'd love to put him/her out with the others but as s/he is an only chick I'm a bit wary of bullying...

Check out "new arrival tomorrow" under search for "Epic" to read the beginning of the story (don't know how to put a link for the post on, sorry).

I've taken a few more pictures recently, including a couple of shots with one of my cats who is fascinated with him/her (but not in a bad way  :D ) so must get round to posting them soon. S/he was bigger at 4 weeks than a group of 6 week old Buff Orp's I saw!

Raven81

The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 20:19 »
Thanks Raven!  Just thought - I guess you bring up topic, highlight address bar, copy, paste?

Forgot to say s/he is currently on 1/4 crumb:3/4 growers but made short work of a worm earlier - down in 1!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 20:22 by Catsmuvva »

Raven81

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 20:25 »
Yes thats it!! Easy enough when you know how to do it, complicated to work out!  ;)

xx
At what age can chicks go outside full time?

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 11:17
by joyfull
xx
Keeping Chickens & Full Time Work

Started by rowan57 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 21:10
by joyfull
xx
Epic - still unknown (pics) - the truth (update)

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 21:11
by Catsmuvva
xx
Epic unwell - quiet rattle breathing

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:53
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 34 queries.