Food from free range

• 4 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Food from free range
« on: April 05, 2009, 20:29 »
My girls have just started to range about our garden, much to their delight. As everyone says, now they have been out a couple of times they queue up at the gate whenever someone comes in to the garden. One of them even flies at the gate to make her point!

What I wanted to ask was whether in your experience they actually get much to eat from free range? I noticed when I put the girls back in their run today that they all hurried to the feeder and began to cram in their layers' pellets. I thought they would be full of grass and bugs! What do you think?
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
Re: Food from free range
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 21:02 »
Hi jane, my four girls do exactly the same thing at our gate, bless them its so lovely to see. :D We cant leave ours out all day as we get foxes, and i worry that i will lose another as we lost one in January to a fox. :( Once bitten twice shy.
Anyway answering your question about how much they eat when they are out and about im not quite sure but my four do not stop and they do exactly the same thing when they go into thier coupe. I honestly think that it is just that they are so greedy! Sometimes they look a little breasty where their crop is so full. I'm glad yours do the same as mine, we have had our hens for nearly a year now and we are still learning so much. This site is a blessing in disguise!!!
Take care enjoy your girls.

HENrietta ;)
Live, Love and Laugh!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 21:21 »
Since my ducks have been let back in the main section of the garden their intake of pellets is almost half as they fill up on grass and bugs and worms from the compost and that is despite the fact they are laying now.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 21:38 »
My chickens do that and the ducks to be honest....It's almost like all the slugs,worms,rhubarb,daffs,grass,shrubs,ect is not enough for them :ohmy:......

Mind you it helps getting them in, saves all the running around catching them :D

henrys.hens

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 21:43 »
I think they just enjoy the space. Mine are exactly the same its like all animals they always love getting out :).

xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Going from free range to penned

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 11:19
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Storm & Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:39
by Sassy
xx
Free range and worming

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 21:26
by evie2

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 35 queries.