Keeping Chickens & Full Time Work

• 10 Replies

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Keeping Chickens & Full Time Work
« on: April 14, 2014, 21:26 »
Hi All,

I constantly toss the idea of keeping chickens backward and forward in my mind, but I have a number of challenges (basically around work), my situation is below;

• Live by myself
  • Work full time, contracted 8am-5pm, generally 8-6.
  • 3 weeks of the year (Christmas, Valentines, Mother's Day, work 12+ hour shifts
  • Travel for work - 3-4 weeks a year, normally 3-4 days.

I have an area say 3mx4m I would be happy to donate to Chickens, and for ease / speed of cleaning I would look to buy something like a Solway or Green Frog plastic house w/auto door opener/closer.

I currently by my eggs in trays of 30 and normally 2 at a time so 60. I would probably be looking at 3-4? chickens which would supplement if not entirely replace my egg purchasing.

What are your thoughts? Does it sound feasible? I'm sure if I was away for a few days I could find someone to look after them but not every time I have to work late or leave early in the morning.

BabbyAnn

Re: Keeping Chickens & Full Time Work
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 22:04 »
I work full time, and winter was my first challenge - dark mornings when I had to go and dark evenings when I came home.  Chickens get up when it is light and go to roost soon after sun down, so you could get away with making sure they had food and water for the day first thing - I have to admit I put a cheap LED light in the run during the dark winter mornings so that I could see and the girls came out anyway even though it was still dark  ::)  At that point, I would do a quick poop pick of the coop so that it was clean for the rest of day and eggs didn't get soiled, and top up any bedding as needed leaving the more thorough clean for the weekends.  In an evening, I'd take out the food and water (so as not to invite vermin) and do a poop pick in the run - the process probably takes me about 5-10 min each time.  Then a quick furtle in the nest box for any eggs before locking them up.  I built a secure run (with a roof to keep weather out) to Fort Knox standards so that they are safe from foxes while I was at work.

I decided not to go for the automatic door opener as it is not necessary, and there is a possible false sense of security - it may fail to work and either keep the chooks locked in the coop (without food or water), or shut before they go back in (one of the hens likes to loiter long after the others have gone in - she's the one telling the world it's time to roost LOL)  Physically checking the run and coop every day to make sure all was well is just part of the routine - also an opportunity to make sure the girls are fine, no injuries (especially from pecking) or illness, or signs of some infestation (mites or lice)

As for egg numbers, my 4 hybrids lay about 26 eggs a week but they are only a year old and I expect numbers to drop as they get older.  Also, they did well to lay throughout their first winter but next winter I will most likely find they'll stop altogether.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 22:06 by BabbyAnn »

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:00 »
I haven't done the maths but the set-up done properly is not cheap - lots of room+foxproof etc.  If its just for eggs and not enjoying chicken company better to buy eggs.

Can you track down a neighbour with free day time - retired etc who could share the enterprise?  They may want chickens but have no room/OH won't allow etc etc.

The auto pop hole works well but I still check it.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 13:16 »
Your main issue is going to be feed and water rather than them going in and out the hen house at night and morning.  As long as they are in a fox proof run then closing the door is really unnecessary and largely down to human cossetting - remember that they are birds with lots of feathers (most of the time) and so can survive with an open door.

The most eggs you would get with four hens is 28 a week, so if you need 60 eggs a week (a lot for a singleton!) the. Your going to need about 10 birds and your space isn't enough for that many if you want them to be happy.

Neighbours may help if there's the possibility of a few free eggs in return. 

A large treadle feeder and water station are your main needs.  Possibly a heater to stop the water freezing in winter.

I am often away for 12+ hours and my hens are fine. I love them as characters but don't go overboard on treating them as pets.  They lay everyday and I use an automatic cat feeder for treats now and then if I'm going to be away for some time.

What about longer holidays? You'll have to find someone to look after them, so best to find that person first.

Think you live in Yaxley(?) if you were nearer I'd be happy to help.  I'm sure you'll find someone, just mention fresh golden yoked eggs and there'll be a queue!  Only later tell them that they'll need to depoop the hen house daily.......

grinling

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 20:02 »
As some say no problem.  I am having to redo mine due to a mole undermining the house and potting shed, so going to concrete.
Points to consider is fox /rat proof as well as a solid roof covering to keep them dry. A dust bath area is good. I have polytunnel sheeting around the sides to keep it wind/rainproof. I have 2 feeders hanging as well as 2 waters hanging. Metal dustbin for food storage. Check out your local feed merchant for feed/straw.
You could allow them to free range when at home, but alternative is to hang a cabbage.
Hens can lay alot in their first 2 years but can tail off over winter and theolder they get the less eggs they lay.
Get some books from a library and read up first.

barley

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 21:40 »
3 words

FOX FOX FOX

that will be your biggest problem if they are not secure on dark mornings and evenings

other wise they are quite content if given adequate living conditions , they need enough space to perch , scratch , feed and live together in harmony - if to cramped they will fight and cause damage to each other , I wouldn't recommend free range if your late home from work as mr fox will enjoy a free meal at your expense

you really need someone to look after them daily if you are away as they need clean food and water daily if not you run the risk of deceases forming due to bad house keeping

if you address all of the above I would say go for it - they are a joy to own  :D

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 21:32 »
Thank you all! It sounds like it is feasible, I certainly have no issues getting up say ½ an hour earlier to spend time sorting them out every day, then would just need some help when I travel or am working crazy hours.

Some potential good news that may or may not change everything in my life completely has come up so once again these things go on the back burner, but if this doesn't come off then chickens are definitely on my list.

Oh and in terms off egg production, I don't eat 60 eggs a week but tend to buy 60 at once, I probably eat up to 20 a week and wouldn't even be looking for chickens to completely replace purchasing, would be happy with a good supplement during the summer.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 21:44 »
I have 5, though only 4 lay as the other I think is in eat mode, so can have between 1 to 4 eggs a day. 1 bantam egg, 1 slightly bigger, 1 med-large & 1 large.
I've never closed a door, even at the allotment which had resident foxes, just foxed proofed the run area.
I could leave them a couple of days, but my bantam goes broody...might be useful, but have other animals requiring daily feeding. Chat to a neighbour or 2 to see if they would be happy to collect eggs and to keep an eye on things. He isn't too keen on depooping, but the max has been a week, so clean before and after has been fine.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:37 »
Go for it. Shouldn't need 30 mins in the morning just feed water and de-poop 10mins. It would be advisable to set up 2/3 options for care though when you are away :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 15:27 »
I work full time as a lorry driver and have kept chickens for two years and have had problems. As long as they have plenty of fresh water and food they mostly look after themselves. Clever them chickens ;) ;)
Pull up a perch!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 21:10 »
winter is the worst time, when you go out in the dark and come back in the dark, also over winter their water can get frozen within a couple of hours.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
At what age can chicks go outside full time?

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 11:17
by joyfull
xx
When can Epic stay out full time?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 20:25
by Raven81
xx
Feeding 2 new full grown chickens

Started by F1schuey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 11:51
by carolbriar
xx
chickens and ducks together, does it work?

Started by carrieb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 21:08
by Vember

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 40 queries.