Tom Spacing?

• 6 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Tom Spacing?
« on: May 16, 2014, 22:21 »
Hi

Got toms in beds in the PT.  I've set them 4 in a row in a 4 foot bed.  They are looking a bit crowded now they've grown.  What's the optimal spacing for toms and should I start to remove lower leaves to avoid disease?

TIA

Adri

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Tom Spacing?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 22:26 »
Really supposed to be 2ft spacing, but I never go below 18 inches.

I don't usually remove any lower leaves until all my fruit has set, but others will probably disagree.

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:33 »
I agree with grannie. I have 4ft beds in my polytunnel and usually put two rows of tomatoes zig-zagged with a row of basil and other companion plants at the front. I once tried three rows of plants but ended up damaging them as I reached through to maintain them later on.

I don't think you need to take off any leaves yet, disease shouldn't yet be an issue and providing the leaves look healthy they're feeding your plants.

Remember to water low down so you don't splash the leaves and they will remain healthier longer.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:44 »
Two foot between plants, and three between rows (so you can get at them all) I remove the lower leaves upto the first truss when it's fruit has set, then gradually moving up the plant as more trusses set fruit. It helps with air circulation, stagnant air is a cause of many tomato problems. Always use clean secateurs to remove leaves rather than trying to pull them off as you would sideshots. Untidy or unclean wounds are a hotspot for grey mould.

Totty

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 13:53 »
I treat mine as Totty does and end up with a very bare plant by the end of the season. Im a little less careful about clean secateurs though :blush:

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 15:00 »
The good grow bag suppliers say that three per bag is fine, so that's another guideline.

I reckon that if you can give around a cubic foot of compost/soil per plant, you're not far wrong!

Spacing is usually a foot per plant. Here, they always get to five or six trusses, which is probably the maximum we need, as after that, the little later trusses usually get in the way.

We have most of ours in two foot containers with trays (outside) and there are three per container.

We have 55 in either the greenhouse or outside in special places here at home, and every one is really different.

And I've just today planted another nineteen down at The Patch, for cooking varieties...

;0)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 09:22 »
I put 3 per growbag and that seems to be ok.
They are also in deep bottomless buckets stood in growbags ;)

xx
Pot Spacing.

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

30 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 09:08
by Growster...
xx
spacing advice please

Started by safetrade on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:05
by sunshineband
xx
Tomato spacing

Started by Urbanite on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 22:46
by Odders
xx
Tomato Spacing in Greenhouse Border

Started by Markjp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 19:08
by Kristen

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.