What's for tea? 2018

• 939 Replies

madcat

Re: What's for tea? 2018
« Reply #915 on: December 21, 2018, 10:57 »
Take the compliment!  :D We don't get a lot, so appreciate the ones you do get ....  Plus that sort of conning would take subtlety, and is that likely?   ::)

Tonight is pastry time - I have to do some more mince pies, so I'll do a bacon and egg pie on the side.  And while the oven is on, some crunchy rolls, dough made in the bread machine.  So pie, coleslaw and rolls for OH will do us nicely.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #916 on: December 21, 2018, 12:24 »
I've got the slow cooker on, beef stew inside - while I make frangipane mince pies.

A very good idea to sneak some savoury pie making in along the way though  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #917 on: December 22, 2018, 08:28 »
Yesterday was lebanese chicken with boneless chicken thighs, plot spuds, onion and garlic  - put in dish with salt and white pepper, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil.  Bake 30 mins with foil on and 30 mins foil off.  I had a bag of green beans in the fridge that looked a bit sad, so they went in as well.  Must remember that one as it was a good addition. 

Wilted plot greens served on the side.  5 minutes prep, in the oven and a lovely meal appeared as if by magic  :D

madcat

« Reply #918 on: December 22, 2018, 09:18 »
Tonight will be a nice easy leeks in cheese sauce, with some more of the rolls for OH.  I'm not going to be fussing with stuff ... got enough to do and a shortage of oomph today!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #919 on: December 22, 2018, 14:23 »
Tonight is the last of the beef stew with cabbage and mash  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #920 on: December 22, 2018, 20:09 »
OH wanted takeaway - more specifically chicken jalfrezi, but that's a bit hot for wimpy little me, so I had tandoori chicken, naan and salad  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #921 on: December 22, 2018, 20:41 »
OH wanted takeaway - more specifically chicken jalfrezi, but that's a bit hot for wimpy little me, so I had tandoori chicken, naan and salad  :lol:
I had a boss who liked to take his area managers to a Bradford curry house and order super hot curries after the monthly meeting. Those who couldn't eat them were mocked mercilessly and you felt your time in the job might be affected... The trick was to burn out your taste buds with hot pickles first and take some rennies immediately after the main course. I acquired a taste for hot curries after a year :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Lardman

« Reply #922 on: December 23, 2018, 11:51 »
Friday was ½ a packet of dark chocolate digestives, Saturday was the other ½ and a tin of rice pudding.  Not only has the CBA fairy been round, she bought her family too  ::)

I have an absolute stinker of a headache today (probably from all the sugar) the plan is for mac and cheese to balance things out assuming I don't get led astray.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #923 on: December 23, 2018, 13:56 »
I've got a pack of sausages in the fridge on their BB date, I'd freeze them but simply no room, so looks like it's sausages for tea  ::) Got loads of plot veg in the fridge to go with, plus spoonstanding obvs :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #924 on: December 23, 2018, 14:51 »
Finest Braising Steak (I know, I know, but I don't like fat).   Followed a recipe from Good House Keeping, it has caramelised red onions and garlic and lots of, hopefully, delicious sauce.
  It has just gone in a slow oven for 2 hours,   (They are whole thick steaks, not diced)

Little potatoes, and dont' know what veg yet.   Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

« Reply #925 on: December 23, 2018, 15:09 »
Butternut squash, spinach and blue cheese in a filo pie with roast potatoes as we decided we didn't want a roast today and again on Tuesday.

madcat

« Reply #926 on: December 23, 2018, 15:11 »
I've got a chicken in the slow cooker on a sliced lemon with vermouth.  Onion spiked with cloves inside, so that should make a nicely flavoured bird, but a bit different from the traditional.  Oven on later - more mince pies (I swear they are evaporating in the tin!) and lots and lots of roast veg (pots, parsnip, squash, onion, apple ....), and some stuffing balls.  Spoon standing obvs too!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #927 on: December 24, 2018, 09:15 »
Last night was chilli which had been stashed in the fridge in advance as I was working.  Crusty bread with it as I couldn't be bothered to cook rice.  Now that really is an attack of the CBAs, but I was dead on my feet after a long shift - honest  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #928 on: December 24, 2018, 09:30 »
Now that really is an attack of the CBAs, but I was dead on my feet after a long shift - honest  :lol:

Whatever it takes to cope - particularly if you are in retail like you at this time of year!  Tell your feet - just one more day to go .... 

Keeping it crisp today with cold chicken, coleslaw and saute potatoes (the last of the charlottes) tonight.  And more mince pies of course!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #929 on: December 24, 2018, 21:31 »
Welsh black rump steak, chips, peas, garlic mushrooms - perfic :)

xx

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 17:32
by greenjay
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2018)

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

928 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 15:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Snow Report 2018

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

74 Replies
Last post March 04, 2018, 11:49
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 50 queries.