agoraphobic chickens?!?

• 6 Replies

evie2

agoraphobic chickens?!?
« on: June 28, 2010, 15:02 »
This is probably a daft question I know but can chickens be agoraphobic?  I've left our 5 girls in peace - well as much as I can with my lot - to get over their move on Saturday, but they don't appear to like being out in the run.  They all huddle in the nesting box.  I've made sure they've had water and food and they woke us up at 5am this morning which was really nice because I've missed that.  I also don't think they've seen grass before.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

carolbriar

Re: agoraphobic chickens?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 16:38 »
When I first got my hens they spent a lot of time in the house.  They weren't used to be outside much and all the new noises etc.  were rather scarey for them.  Given time they will venture out.  It took mine about 3 weeks before they were out much. You've only had them for a couple of days so give it time.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 17:19 »
I hoped that was the case  :D  Luckily they love to be handled, talked to and will feed from the hand; much tamer than our last hens and the weather has been SO hot I'll just have to be patient, not something I'm good at!  :D

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 21:30 »
Just remember this post when you're trying to get them inside in a few months time  :lol:

evie2

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 22:29 »
We were in the garden earlier deciding if they would be happier in the orchard where there's lots of dappled shade when all of a sudden out they came :D They scratched about making little rosey noises and went back in about 10pm  :D :D :D

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 23:01 »
Ours were terrified of coming out when we first got them but thankfully we had a Dora the explorer amongst them.  She was so inquisitive she had done two laps of the covered run before any of the others had bared to stick their beaks out of the door. Thankfully she seemed to reassure them and Amelia joined her.  Someone seemed to have forgotten to have told Amelia (named after Amelia Earhart) that chickens can't fly as she then spent the next couple of days throwing herself at things with frantically flapping wings.  I think with all this entertainment happening outside the others were then tempted to join them and they've never looked back.  I'm sure your girls will pluck up the courage to foray in to the great outdoors again soon.  In the meantime at least be grateful that you're not having to worry over what mischief they're getting up!!

evie2

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 15:33 »
My girls have sorted themselves out :D

They like to be out early morning and evening and with our Houdini rabbit STILL on the loose bopping round their run chased by hubby (his punishment for getting the rabbits mixed up) plus the rugby winger son charging up and down the garden honing his tackling technique, his sisters, my grand daughter and I in hysterics with laughter, I think the girls wanted to join in  :lol: all we might even get some eggs soon ::)

xx
New chickens!!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 17:49
by ANHBUC
clip
Nothing to do with chickens!!!!!

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 14:06
by BobE
xx
new to chickens

Started by sunny side up on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 22:03
by grenhouse
xx
can i keep chickens

Started by chicken phil on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 15:24
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.