I was going to throw this away !

• 7 Replies

Lardman

I was going to throw this away !
« on: June 22, 2011, 14:47 »
After all the problems with the leaf miner I was going to bin the lot of my garlic as a lost cause.

I put a bulb on the shopping yesterday here it is sitting next to one of my "to be binned" bulbs  :ohmy:  Either I was far too harsh on the stuff I have grown or the supermarkets are taking the Michael .

wastenot.jpg

bigben

Re: I was going to throw this away !
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 15:00 »
I spent an hour the other night just pulling apart garlic bulbs down to individual cloves. A lot of my garlic ended up with the start of white rot but I was determined to not lose more of it than I needed to. The good stuff I am drying for long term storage. The stuff that has split I am peeling down to individual cloves and either freezing or putting in vinegar. Same for the stuff with just a touch of white rot. I am using it or giving it away if it is only just affected - some went soft and I had to bin it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 15:41 »
Good to know you can compete, even when you thought you were failing  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lsp12

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 17:35 »
Just a quick note to Bigben...

I am sorry to hear of your problem with your garlic. I am growing mine for the first  time this year and was so pleased with it...but some started turning yellow and on close examination it was starting to look mouldy: seems to fit your description!

Is the only option taking it all out? would it keep in oil as well?

It's been suggested to me that it would be rain/overwatering. Could  that apply to your crop?

Laurence

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 17:36 »
I find a good film onthe box and sit there peeling garlic,  then Zizz it with a bit of olive oil and freeze it in ice cube trays.  Don't use the trays for your ice for the G & Ts though! ! !Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 20:03 »
Im more inclined to think the supermarket one is pathetic than mine is any good.  ::) They're about 1/2 the size of last years and I wasn't too happy with those either.

I also blitz and freeze garlic cubes - it makes it nice and easy when cooking ( id do the same with ginger) , but there are some things that cry out for sliced rather than mushed - garlic bread springs to mind.

lsp12

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:39 »
Thanks to both Tony and 'Lardman'. These are good ideas... I'd hate to lose my first garlic!

Is this rot/fungus likely to contaminate the soil for next year  or should I not worry about it?
Laurence

bigben

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 13:53 »

Is this rot/fungus likely to contaminate the soil for next year  or should I not worry about it?
Laurence
In my case I think it is actually white rot. It was a fair section of my garlic and onions. Others on the plot have had a few go down and say it is just overwatering or the funny weather etc but I suspect it is in the soil. If mine was just limited to a few I would not be bothered but I think it is in the soil. The advice is to avoid growing onions in that area for as long as you can. If I was you I would rotate my onion bed and see what the new area is like. Some of the old guys on the site tend to not rotate their onion bed but "find one that is ok and stick with it". This has the benefit of resting the bad areas from onions and still getting a crop but long term it can lead to a build up if you keep using an area once the white rot is present.

xx
grow and throw

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2019, 09:46
by Nobbie
xx
Companion flowers plants.... throw and grow???

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 18:09
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 29 queries.