Didn't spray! Stupid boy

• 20 Replies

Salmo

Re: Didn't spray! Stupid boy
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 14:50 »
Dithane will protect leaves from blight but will not kill that which is already there. If you have blight lesions on the leaves they will still continue to expand and put out spores. You will need to spray again after a week to protect any new leaf.

According to the packet there must be an interval of 7 days between applying dithane and harvesting the crop. That applies to both tomatoes and potatoes. That could make things difficult with tomatoes. Even after 7 days I would give them a good wash.

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 18:18 »
I sprayed with Dithane in early June and at the end of June as it was warm and humid here but I noticed potato blight in mid July so I sprayed with Murphy's copper fungicide which says you can use at the first signs of the disease which Dithane doesn't. The blight is still there but seems to be kept at bay so I have sprayed every fortnight since then and my Golden Wonder maincrop may be saved - I hope! Worth a try.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 19:19 »
Glad to hear the precautions seem to be keeping the worst at bay, goosegirl  :)

Might just be worth double checking the Murphy's packet for the maximum number of sprays you can apply per season - copper is a chemical which is tolerated in low doses but you wouldn't want to overdose on it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 10:48 »
Dithane def not organic, though Bordeaux Mixture is - which I find strange. It's highly toxic to frogs and we have frogs aplenty, Gawd Bless Em. I have used BM on my toms this year though - as I couldn't bear not to have tomatoes ( I hate shop bought toms but really enjoy home grown)  - but I kept it well away from neighbour's ponds.
I lost all my broad beans this year (and I love them) as I was determined not to spray at all. Lesson learned!!

I am new to veggie growing so please forgive the ignorance.  Do Broad Beans need to be sprayed against Blight??  I know that they suffer from black fly infestation, but thought it was only toms and potatoes that got blight??  Have you tried the Aquadulce Claudia variety of BB's.  I had great success with these this year.

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 16:36 »
Dithane def not organic, though Bordeaux Mixture is - which I find strange. It's highly toxic to frogs and we have frogs aplenty, Gawd Bless Em. I have used BM on my toms this year though - as I couldn't bear not to have tomatoes ( I hate shop bought toms but really enjoy home grown)  - but I kept it well away from neighbour's ponds.
I lost all my broad beans this year (and I love them) as I was determined not to spray at all. Lesson learned!!

I am new to veggie growing so please forgive the ignorance.  Do Broad Beans need to be sprayed against Blight??  I know that they suffer from black fly infestation, but thought it was only toms and potatoes that got blight??  Have you tried the Aquadulce Claudia variety of BB's.  I had great success with these this year.

No! Spuds and tom's get the blight. Broad beans get chocolate spot and blackfly!
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

viettaclark

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 20:21 »
I have just noticed what I believe to be blight (looked at posted pics.) starting on my end tomato plant and have removed the affected lower leaves. The lower fruit is also browning. I haven't sprayed with anything, which is ridiculous as I had blight last year and had to chuck a third of my crop! Just an optimist, I guess ::)
Anyway, what is the best thing to do? I thought I would pick the lower fruit and hope it ripens indoors, then spray, to allow max. time before picking again. My plants have all been pinched out now so there should be no more leaf growth so will one spray do it? What product is most effective to stop it spreading...I've seen Dithane and Murphey's have both been recommended? Thanks guys!

xx
Blackfly - to spray or not to spray?

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 11:14
by compostqueen
xx
I've got carrots and I didn't sow them!

Started by GreenOwl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 00:50
by Chiswickian
xx
my parsnips didn't germinate

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 15:20
by brucesgirl
xx
I didn't realise it was my birthday!

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 20:59
by dugless

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 28 queries.