a couple of questions??

• 14 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« on: April 07, 2007, 20:51 »
When i took over my plot it was basically a lawn. Over the last few days i have taken off the turf and began to dig beds. The first bed i dug i found lots of jurusalam artichokes so left them in and planted spuds in front forming bed 1.

I have now begun to dig my second bed which i intened to plant onion sets, shallot sets and leeks. The problem is i have dug it to big so wonded what i could plant alongside these :?:  :?:

question 2, Is there anything i can mix with the soil to aid growth :?:  :?:
I dont have manure, someone mentioned chicken pellets.

Question 3, i am awaiting delivery of some lettuces is there anything i can plant alongside these :?:

Question4, do i have a seperate bed for carrots, turnips and parsnips  :?:

Finally what seeds should i be sowing both inside and out :?:

Sorry about all the questions i know i only said a couple :!:  :!:
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
a couple of questions??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 21:18 »
Q1 : anything you fancy really unless you want to stick to a rigid crop rotation from day 1 wouldnt plant beans or peas as they generally don't get on with the onion family. Nothing to high if they will over shadow them.
Q2 yes chicken pellets is good, so's growmore but not organic, blood fish and bone all so.
Q3 radishes spring onions and other salads.
Q4 they need slightly different conditions carrots will split and go ester rantzen on you ! if you use manure, but turnips like it I believe. Not sure about snips never grown em till this year and not even sown any yet.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 21:30 »
Cheers richy :D  :D

Do you or anyone else have any tips on planting onion and shallot sets :?:

I have never planted them and was gonna dig little holes but i have loads of them and this will take forever. Should i add some compost and growmore to the soil as i turn it before planting :?:  :?:

Thanks

clive f

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 21:32 »
Grow your root crop with your onion's  and shallot's eg beetroot parsnip carrot's i allway's do it that and have never had any problem . Good look with your plot

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
a couple of questions??
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 21:43 »
I just poke a hole with my finger for onion sets  :lol:  dead scientific !
or make you self a dibber with an old fork/spade handle, or even a bit of broom handle if desperate.

Just saw your other question yes it would be a good idea to turn some compost into the soil if you can.

clive f

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 21:56 »
Sorry about my reply it should have read i alway's do it that way and have never had any problem  MUST BE THE WHISKY :oops:

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 21:57 »
thanks to you both :D

Do you know if you can grow carrots, parsnips, turnips, cucumber, zuchinni, dwarf french beans and spring onions from seed in greenhouse and then transplant  :?:  :?:

Sorry to be a pain, but i dont really have much of a clue.

Cheers

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 22:00 »
No worries frosty, enjoy the whisky :D  :?  :?

clive f

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 22:58 »
Cucumer,dwarf french bean possibly parsnip in toilet roll's in greenhouse and transplant. Carrot's,turnip's sow direct in plot. Don't know what zuchinni is.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
a couple of questions??
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 23:04 »
Zuchinni is courgette's clive, and yea grow them in the greenhouse first, harden off and transplant out after last frost.

clive f

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 23:17 »
Thank's Richyrich.Why did'nt he say :oops:  :lol:

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 14:31 »
Mikeyboy, if a seed can be sown outside strait in to the ground then it can definatley be set off in a greenhouse or pollytunnel, or if you would prefer to set the seeds where they will grow, you could use a small coldframe. (a small raised bad covered with glass). Once the seedlings are big enough simply remove the glass and bricks (or whatever you used to raise the glass), and that is where they will grow.

To answer some of the other guys questions if I can remember them all:- Carrots relly need to have a sandy soil to ensure proper growth as even the smallest of stones will break the root and you will get some ugly looking carrots, try to put them in raised beds or in large containers.  You could always plant parsips or beetroot near your onions, Carrots too but needs a sandy soil.  I always buy packets of mixed salad to grow near my lettuce, as well as spinach.  I cannot remember what else you asked sorry

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
a couple of questions??
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 14:38 »
Also if your beds are large you can mix almost anything into them as long as theres a slightly larger  gap inbetween different species of plants. I'm going to plant some garlic in with my shallots this year as there is still space in that bed for a few garlic.  I'm lucky as I have recently found a supplier of horse manure free of charge for as much as I want whenever I want, and it's so close to my allotment which makes it even better. I also have chickens so have a lot of waste from them.  I would advise you to try your best to get hold of any manure you can, as this will aid in the breaking down of the soil and make it much more managable. Which means easier digging in the future.  If you have an allotment along sie other allotments ask around for manure as you will need it. Good luck m8

Annie

a couple of questions??
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 15:09 »
Carrots and parsnips sew direct,every thing else you mentioned can be sown inside for putting out later,it`s still a bit early for courgettes/cucs and french beans ,they`ll grow but outgrow their pots before you can plant out when the frosts have finished.
If you want to add chicken pellets or grow more do it a good week before you plant though carrots/parsnips don`t really need it,no idea about swede/turnip am trying them myself for the first time.Don`t forget that parsnips are big plants so leave a good gapbetween these and any other crop or they won`t see the light of day(says she who tried to inter plant carrots and `snips,never saw a carrot!)
Carrots and parsnips do like a lighter soil,sharp sand dug in will do to start and home made compost when you`ve got it.Failing that in a clay soil there are plenty of stump rooted carrots that you can grow well in heavy soil.
That`s all I can remember of you`re question.Also have a search in the archives as there is loads of good advice there.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
a couple of questions??
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 15:46 »
I always sow my parsnips direct too, but I haven't tried them in toilet roll middles.  Usually do my sweetcorn that way!  snips and carrots don't like being transplanted!

I've just put my onions sets in today, and tried it Munty's way.  drawn a drill accross the ground with my hoe, and pushed them into the soft ground underneath.  make sure the onions are almost covered, but there is still a dip, so will help hold the water when it rains, but as the onions grow, I can draw up more soil around them.  Just done 13 x 8ft rows this way.

xx
A Couple of Questions...

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 12:45
by teabelly
xx
couple of questions

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 16:26
by mumofstig
xx
A couple of questions - can anyone help?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 02:22
by gobs
xx
Couple of questions

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:25
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 28 queries.