Best and tastiest sweetcorn for the North

• 5 Replies

Goosegirl

Best and tastiest sweetcorn for the North
« on: July 31, 2011, 13:58 »
I have grown it in the past with great success but can't get that variety now (forgotten it but not found it by Google). Tried a Robinson's one which last and this year have been a huge disappointment - no home-grown cobs with melted butter :ohmy:. What would you recommend for an early, northern variety and what is the difference between extra-sweet and super-sweet varieties?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Best and tastiest sweetcorn for the North
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 19:49 »
Swift always succeeds for me in Glasgow. It is one of the tendersweets, both tender and sweet. The following is some of the information taken from my website.
Extra tender and Sweet (tendersweet) or (Augmented supersweet). The sweetest type with softer kernels.  Once picked, the sugars do not change to starches as quickly as the older varieties of sweet corn. Also can be quick to mature and should be ready to harvest in September in the North of the UK, and this is the type that I would recommend.

The seed of this type of sweetcorn, are shrunken in appearance and will need moist (not sodden) compost in order to swell and germinate. A soil temperature of more than 15-16C is required for germination and is best obtained in a propagator.

Isolation of this type is required from standard (Su) sweetcorn varieties as well as from baby and pop corn, or the kernels will become tough and starchy and lose the tenderness. Isolation also required from the Supersweets (Sh2) type of sweetcorn or the tenderness will be lost.

Suggested varieties of Extra Tender and Sweet (tendersweet)

Swift F1.  Very early, very sweet and tender.

Lark F1.    Mid season, very sweet and tender.

Mirai types. Very early, very sweet and tender.

Supersweets (Sh2) Type. A sweet type but more chewy. The sugar content of this type can be 4 or 10 times that of standard(su) sweet corn. Once picked, the sugars do not change to starches as quickly as the older varieties of sweet corn. The most likely type to be found for sale in the supermarkets. They do not have the creamy textures of standard sweet corn.

Isolation of this type is required from standard (Su), sweet corn varieties as well as baby and pop corn, or the kernels will become tough and starchy in both types. All yellow Sh2 types can be grown together, but Sh2 derivatives such as whites and bi-colours will require isolation to prevent colour contamination.

The seed of this type of sweetcorn, are shrunken in appearance and will need moist compost in order to swell and germinate. A soil temperature of more than 15-16C is required for germination and is best obtained in a propagator.

Suggested varieties of Supersweets.

Extra early sweet. 

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:55 »
Last year I grew Early Xtra sweet from T&M, great crop and taste. Growing the same again this year, plants are doing great about 6 feet tall. I live between Blackpool and Preston.
Paul

rw3272

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 13:53 »
Swift did very well for me last year in Cumbria.  Sadly I had very poor germination from the left-over seed this year so had to resort to something else.  Only sowed in June and not looking as though it will do much this year :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 17:10 »
Thank you all for the info - much appreciated. Fancy Swift next year. Just looked - mine were "Sweet Nugget" from Robinson's Mammoth Onions. They are really short and I don't know what harvest I will get as some died in the blocks I planted.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 20:22 »
Kristen posted a thread about the best sweetcorn for the UK. Lots of people gave Lark the thumbs up.

xx
Help: Tastiest Sweetcorn Variety

Started by VirginVegGrower on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 21:24
by mashbintater
xx
sweetcorn up north

Started by monsta on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:21
by Kumfy
xx
Sweetcorn - how far north have we managed to grow it

Started by MulesMarinair on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 23:16
by mucky pup
xx
Tastiest calabrese.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2018, 13:37
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 28 queries.