Best fertilizer for onion,s

• 3 Replies

paul meese

« on: August 24, 2008, 12:00 »
Hi i am new to this computor thing, but have been growing since i was a kid. What differant fertilizer,s do folk use for BIG show onion,s. Any idea,s would be grt, thank you. Paul :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 16:10 »
I was always lead to believe that soot was one of the secret ingredients.
 My friend across the road wins all the local shows with his onions, I'll ask him what he uses.
His string of show winners will be taking their last bow at tomorrows show and then we usually get them to eat. I'll get some pictures of the winners before they get eaten. :D

Knoblauch

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 17:30 »
You could look at vegmandan's excellent website, he grows show onions too.

vegmandan

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 22:43 »
Thank's for the comments Knoblauch.

Even though I've had a disaster this year re. big onions due to pests,(Damn Thrips !!!!!) plus rubbish plants and an awful summer.

Generally you don't use anything different to grow bigger onions than normal ones.

OK I've only managed about a 7 pounder but my mate has grown 10lb+ and like him I only use blood fish and bone,growmore and plenty of muck.

Some folks use high nitrogen ferts earlier to promote leaf growth but this can also make them grow a double neck and split into two if you're unlucky.

The secret is to get good big varieties, be it seed or plants and keep them warm in spring if you can and grow them on good rich fertile land and have a lot of luck.

Feeding later on in the season can actually do more harm than good as high potash can make the onions ripen up prematurely and then if you get a wet spell they'll just split.

So as far as I'm concerned there's no secret fertilizer (others may disagree) you just need a big variety and give them as much TLC as you can. :D

xx
Onion Fertilizer

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 09:31
by BabbyAnn
xx
onion fertilizer

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2024, 18:17
by Yorkie
xx
onion/potato fertilizer confusion

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 08:31
by gavinjconway
xx
fertilizer to buy - help

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 09:49
by robbodaveuk

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 36 queries.