Does anyone else buy 'Grow Your Own' magazine?

• 11 Replies

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« on: May 14, 2006, 21:23 »
My mum sent me a few back copies of a magazine called 'Grow your own' that she buys down in London.  I had chance to read through some today (whilst it was still raining!) and it's very good!  Unfortunately they don't appear to sell it here in Sheffield otherwise I'd certainly buy it on a regular basis.  Toying with the idea of a subscription now :D

Does anyone else buy this magazine, or any other gardening magazines on a regular basis?  Which are your favourites?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 22:27 »
Hi SweetPea, I can't afford to buy mags very often, but I did buy I think it was February's Grow Your Own, and I joined their website, but since I found this one, and the Smallholding matters one, I don't look anywhere else!!!  I also bought Kitchen Garden mag once and my daughter bought me one of each for Mother's Day bless her, but other than that, the gardening mags I read are Amateur Gardening and the BBC one, can't think what its called for the minute, but I bought them back in the early 90's when I was working and saved them all.  I also got a few Which grdening mags from a book sale at work some years ago.  I refer to them a lot, after all, they don't eactly go out of fashion do they???

EXCEPT FOR THE PRICE OF STUFF!!!!!  LOL

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 22:31 »
I subscribed to GYO and enjoy it too.  It is different from the other gardening magazines and I like the allotment pages too.

You can get your local newsagent to order it for you.
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 00:03 »
I think on balance I prefer Kitchen Garden but I'm suffering information overload at the moment  :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

lilymarlene

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 06:26 »
I have both on subscription. That's because I can't decide which I like best:!:  I don't get a lot of time to read in the summer (addicted to plot blogs on the net!!!!) but they are very inspirational to look through once I can't get out in the garden in the winter.

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43 »
I've never seen Kitchen Garden - I'll have to look out for that one!

Grannieannie - maybe your local library will stock the magazines?  I'm going to go to Sheffield City Library today to see if they keep GYO and I can flick through it there!  My OH and I have just moved and I can't really afford to be buying magazines at the moment either :D

Lily - I've recently discovered plot blogs on the Internet too and yes, they are addictive!  I like to see what stage everyone's plants are at ;)

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 10:24 »
I subscribe to Grow Your Own - I think it is a great magazine. Sweetpea the magazine is sold in supermarkets rather than newsagent shops.

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 12:18 »
I have never read Kitchen Garden either so will have to get the village newsagent to get me a copy so that I can compare notes.  Have to admit that I don't get time to read them in depth, but read the month before's if you know what I mean, and the current magazine caters for the following month

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 18:27 »
I subscribed to GYO in a moment a keen newbie impatience, after reading on a forum not so far away that its a good read.

I didnt pay too much attention to the first issue as i was learning sooo much as it was. But I am reading Junes issue back to back as its got a lot of info for me, i.e. i'm putting out a hanging basket with vine tomatoes, some inspiration on what to grow next (am very tempted at melons) and i learnt about a website developed to the growth of chillies (www.thechileman.org) which claims to be not for profit but for those who love chillies, like me and my two efforts  :wink:

hope this helps

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 19:35 »
Thanks twhincup - that chilli site is fab! I have some chilli seedlings at the moment and I can't wait to get my first chillis from the plants!

Lesley Jay - if GYO is sold in supermarkets that's probably why I've never seen it :D We live at the top of a hill and don't have a car, so we get all of our shopping delivered ;)  I shall make a special trip to the Sainsburys in town though!

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 20:57 »
sweetpea - I just love your photo album.  Your tomato plants are huge - you must have a greenhouse!  Everything looks so very healthy.

ang

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 08:02 »
Yes I buy Grow Your Own, get it from Morrisons supermarket if that's any help with you finding it. Also get Kitchen Garden. Enjoy reading both of them

xx
magazine

Started by waddecar on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2007, 21:03
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
gyo magazine

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2007, 17:13
by WG.
xx
Allotment Magazine !!

Started by kloggs on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 09:56
by smc
xx
Good Housekeeping magazine wants YOU

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 20:58
by PennyS

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.