Are quails noisey to keep? Also can you put them in the same run as chickens?

• 20 Replies

viettaclark

Do quail destroy grass like chickens?
I've got one of those wooden Chinese coops empty and was thinking about putting it on the grass and moving round occasionally.
Do foxes go for them, or are they too small a meal?
Also....is red mite still a problem for quail or do they avoid it if they're out in the run most of the time?
I'm having a silly moment where I quite like the idea of some quail.........OH will not be a happy man..... ::) :lol: :lol:

Tony H

• Experienced Member
no they dont do it as bad as chickens, and yes foxes,cats rats and i think everything that moves eat cpq quails if you are thinking of having quails go for a bigger breed like jap quails not as colourfull though, if you do want cpq quails youl have to make sure no gaps at all thats why most people have them in an avery and they are very fast  :D fun though
Chicken crazy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Coturnix quail do poo a lot so you would have to move the coop around regularly.  You would have to catch them and put them somewhere safe when you are moving the coop.  You can't let them out as they will be off like a shot never to be seen again (unless you are lucky and can find and catch them).  I have one lot of mine (Japanese quail) in a rabbit hutch and another lot (Italian quail) in a chicken ark which I have fixed a floor into.  My one male Japanese quail is in a bird cage and my chinese painted quail in a separate bird cage, both in a spare bedroom with the heating turned off.  They don't roost so not sure if red mite will be a problem.  Can't wait for Spring and an aviary to be purpose built for them, still working on the design!

They are quite addictive like chickens and lay lovely tasty eggs.    ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

viettaclark

You say aviary...does that mean they actually flutter about? Do they need high perches like birds and/or ledges etc?
I thought they just scuttled about on the floor.......cripes
AND we have cats and likely rats......so the chicken coop would need some modification and perimeter protection to ensure no gaps and no burrowing....cripes
Don't know if OH would be up for that!

Tony H

• Experienced Member
no cpq dont fly exept when startled then can fly usualy strait up, around 6ft and can fly short distance in a straight line, and would have to make whatever you keep them in secure with 1/2" welded wire, some of the bigger breds wont need as much security, have you thought about a minature breed of chuck like mini silky's lovely little birs about the same size as some quale and come various colours, but easier to keep and if they escape will come back  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
You say aviary...does that mean they actually flutter about? Do they need high perches like birds and/or ledges etc?
I thought they just scuttled about on the floor.......cripes
AND we have cats and likely rats......so the chicken coop would need some modification and perimeter protection to ensure no gaps and no burrowing....cripes
Don't know if OH would be up for that!

Aviary will be mainly to make it easier to access, can have a double door system so they won't escape when handled.  Some quail perch but not coturnix.  As Tony H says they can fly and take off vertically when startled.  They are less jumpy the more time you spend with them.  If they have been handled whilst young they are a lot easier to manage.  My Italian quail are really good when I am collecting their eggs, they are not bothered by me at all.  The Japanese quail haven't been handled as much so are a bit more skittish but they don't seem to jump as much.  They will improve in time with gentle handling. 

You could put weld mesh on the base to stop rodents getting in or you can just put a base on the coop which will make it into a hutch.  Ours is kept off the floor with a few lengths of fencing post but you could always put legs on to make it higher.  Best to have the mesh small enough so they can't stick their heads out as predators can bite them off!  So a few modifications and you are set to go.

They really are great little birds.  :)

xx
why are my chickens so noisey

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 08:31
by Sassy
xx
chickens and quails

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 22:21
by Chookiechook
smiley
chickens and quails

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 22:59
by grenhouse
xx
Quails and Chickens

Started by merlin12 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 07:41
by chicken soup

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.