First 'warnings' from the water board...

• 35 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: First 'warnings' from the water board...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 16:23 »
Snap Growster  :D

lettice

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 08:29 »
On the South Coast, Portsmouth Water supply us, Southern Water take it away. So we have two bills.
supply is £9 for 8 months, takeaway is £17 for 10 months.
So no hosepipe ban here. We are not on meters either.

8 miles or so to the West and they have the hosepipe ban as Southern Water supply them and they have to have meters.

This month we have had two days that my weather station registered any amount, 22nd 2mm and 25th 0.4mm.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:25 by lettice »

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 09:45 »
No forthcoming ban here as we haven't had it as hot plus it's rained almost every day since!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 20:23 »
It's just been announced SE water hosepipe ban will start on 12th August  :(  :(
https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/about/updates/tubs-faqs

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 05:37 »
Yup - got the email!

Might take a bottle of water across to Bewl Water and top it up...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 10:58 »
Yup - got the email!

me too.

We are very short of water in Kent.  But they still continue to build many thousands of new homes on green field sites around here.  Will that not just make matters worse ?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 13:04 »
The frustration with this comes from the fact that we've barely built any more reservoirs in the UK since the 60's ( I think the last was in 1991) despite our huge population growth. As ever there is no long term policy here for anything, it's always short term sticking plasters for problems.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 14:38 »
Don't get me started.... Too busy giving £££s to shareholders and execs to invest in infrastructure  :mad:
They are also dumping untreated sewage into rivers and the sea, and yet the charges keep going up  :mad: :mad:

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 17:44 »
Yup - got the email!

me too.

We are very short of water in Kent.  But they still continue to build many thousands of new homes on green field sites around here.  Will that not just make matters worse ?

I believe they're still mucking around with plans for Broad Oak Reservoir, near Canterbury! The plans have been going on for decades, and I can remember chasing up the construction business in the eighties! East Kent deserves better with the beaches collecting quite a lot of raw sewage most days! They even had to shut Broadstairs a few years ago - it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the South East and the nasty stuff was flooding basements and shops, so they chucked it all out into the bay just as the holiday season was starting!

As for new housing, I suggest we import thousands of rare newts and plants and spread them everywhere near a proposed building site, and let them get on with it1 After all, these species are far more important than the human race...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 11:54 »
Yorkshire Water claim to have invested heavily in tackling water leaks within their system rather than investing much more in new reservoir capacity.

Time will tell if that's a good plan rather than a merely cheap one.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2022, 11:02 »
Personally I think that finding and stopping water leaks is a priority as no-one knows how much is being wasted every day, but we also need a long-term strategy to ensure our increasing population can be provided with enough water in the future plus not to waste water needlessly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 18:22 »
Bizarre situation in that most of us are currently struggling to say cool, yet in a few months time many will be in big trouble paying to keep warm.  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 12:24 »
Yorkshire Water's hosepipe ban starts tomorrow.  :(

Don't know whether all water companies have the same detailed wording, but, rather unexpectedly, hosepipes will still be permitted to water edible crops here.

Acting in the spirit rather than the letter of the law, (and also so I don't have to worry about what my neighbours might be thinking  ::)) I shall put my main hose away today, but keep the timed drip irrigation system for the greenhouse going given that it's a very efficient way of watering (and still permitted.)

Does the same exemption for edible crops apply where you are, and if so, are you planning on taking advantage of it?

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 14:08 »
I didn't realise that JayG, it means I can at least run the hose through the house to the front for filling cans and not spill everywhere.  I won't use the hose on the garden anyhow as I don't need comments or even snitching from passers by or an argument with authorities about valid use.  After the last few days I fully expect the greediest plants (pots, toms and peppers) to start showing signs of blight so shouldn't need anything like the amount of water used currently.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 14:42 »
Rather bizarrely, according to https://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-water/is-there-a-hosepipe-ban/#home (FAQ's: 'If I fill my watering ban up with my hosepipe have I broken the ban?') you would be breaking the ban.
Seems strange that you are allowed to water your food crops directly with a hose, yet can't try to save using as much water by filling watering cans up from a hose.  :wacko:

Can only suggest those supplied by Yorkshire Water read all the FAQ's (at least twice!) and then make their own minds up.

xx
Storm Bella on the Way Weather Warnings in Place

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 28, 2020, 10:36
by JayG
xx
we have water?

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 20:56
by Growster...
xx
I need to put more water with it!!

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2023, 09:00
by Goosegirl
xx
Saving Water

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 19:43
by Growster...

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 47 queries.